Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DDM tuning HID kit question: Do I need the relay harness?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
War Eagle!
CamboTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
CamboTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just received my order that I placed May 20th... took a while to get here but now I have my HID kit for the fog lights... hopefully get those in sometime this weekend.
They received my headlight for warranty inspection Tuesday, got an email yesterday saying it just had a loose connection and they fixed it and sent it out today. Should have it Monday and be back to FULL POWER!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #22
VtotheZ is on a distinguished road
VtotheZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaguyny View Post
Just got off the phone with DDM.

You do NOT need to order an additional relay harness with the H4 hi/lo kit because it is already part of the hi/lo controller that is included within the kit.

You are NOT required to order the additional relay wiring harness with the H10 kit for the fogs - although it is recommended.

I'm ordering the following:

1 - H4 Hi/Lo 35 watt kit (headlights)
1 - H10 35 watt kit (fog lights)
1 - Relay harness for the fog lights
2 - Ballast mounts (sold in pairs)

I'm going with 5000K as it seems to be the consensus around here that 5K is the whitest and I don't want anything ricey.

So everything look good here fellas??

Thanks again!

So I have a 2013 TRD sport DBLB. I guess I'm an idiot and didn't realize the fogs were H11?!?!? I ordered the H10 because you have the same year just different trim level. WTF!? So pissed. Anyone ever delt with exchanging stuff from DDM? Ugggghhh I'm so mad at myself, I should have checked. Had everything installed and went to unplug the fog and noticed the housing was way off. The stock bulbs say H11
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #23
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road

tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheZ View Post
So I have a 2013 TRD sport DBLB. I guess I'm an idiot and didn't realize the fogs were H11?!?!? I ordered the H10 because you have the same year just different trim level. WTF!? So pissed. Anyone ever delt with exchanging stuff from DDM? Ugggghhh I'm so mad at myself, I should have checked. Had everything installed and went to unplug the fog and noticed the housing was way off. The stock bulbs say H11
That doesn't sound right. I also installed the H10 kit for the fogs on my father's 2013 double cab TRD Sport. His is a short bed and I doubt the fog lights housings are different from short and long bed trucks.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #24
VtotheZ's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what to say because I thought the same thing.... But the actual housing is much larger on the H10 than the H11. There is no way in hell it would ever fit. Plus my stock bulb says H11 right on it
Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #25
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road

tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure what to say because I thought the same thing.... But the actual housing is much larger on the H10 than the H11. There is no way in hell it would ever fit. Plus my stock bulb says H11 right on it
That's very interesting. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has heard of this.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #26
War Eagle!

ok now I'm worried... I've waited almost a month for these and if they don't fit ill be pissed at myself! but I mistakenly ordered the h11 and it didnt work.... so whiskey tango foxtrot batman?! As soon as I get back to my truck Sunday I'll pull the bulb and hope to see h10 on there! Will post reply asap
Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #27
michaelw.grey will become famous soon enough

EMS: EMT
Name: mike
michaelw.grey's Tacoma Gallery
ddm sucks balls, Ive been through 3 sets in the past two year. Now I go thourgh a local high end company in the U.S. out of atlanta, theretrofitsource.com, their stuf is pricy but its the best ive come across yet. Super fast shipping, amazing customer service, and not too far away in case something falls through and I i need to go chew some mofo out. lol all in all one of the bestinvestmants ive made.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
War Eagle!

so mine ARE h11! so the h11 kit I ordered before did not work and the h10 of course doesn't work... so I don't know what I'm going to do now.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #29
VtotheZ's Tacoma Gallery
Awww that sucks... Why didn't your H11s work? Defective or install issues?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
michaelw.grey will become famous soon enough

EMS: EMT
Name: mike
michaelw.grey's Tacoma Gallery
Im telling ya. DDM has screwed me over way to many times. 3 sets of hid's and $400 later I started using theretrofitsource.com. I paid about $175 for a very nice heavy duty 55w bi-xenon 5000k kit that has worked wonders. Way better than anything else ive owned.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
War Eagle!

Quote:
Awww that sucks... Why didn't your H11s work? Defective or install issues?
I really don't know why. The bulbs fit fine but it was like the stock plug wouldn't go in where it should. Like it wouldn't plug in all the way. I just put them in my girlfriends camry and they work just fine. I'm going to work on it again this weekend to see what I can figure out.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #32
VtotheZ's Tacoma Gallery
Okay so trying to install my fog lights and I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing. I already installed my headlights without issue, had them on for a year and one of my headlights went out so considering they aren't that much money I ordered another set of bulbs, come to find out it was a faulty ballast.

Anyway so I ordered the H11 kit and I'm not sure what I'm doing. Do they need ballasts as well?? Is there a write up for a fog install lol? I ordered it from DDM tuning. So when I ordered them I ordered the fog kit and a pair of headlight bulbs. I thought I read that the fogs didn't need a ballast but I'm prolly a dumbass so bear with me. Anyway DDM sent me a bunch of stuff not sure what to use it all for.

Any advise would be helpful
Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #33
Annolino122 has a spectacular aura aboutAnnolino122 has a spectacular aura about

Annolino122's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 and the H11's fit in my fog lights. It was a tight squeeze with the weather seal but it works great!

And don't listen to 1 person about their experience with DDM, I had their fog lights and heads on my Subaru for 2 years no issues. I've had their heads and fogs on my tacoma for 2 years no issues, the wiring harness went bad and they replaced it no issue and pretty quickly (compared to initially ordering them).

VtotheZ.... You do need a ballast yes, otherwise they're pretty useless. And all you do is plug the stock wiring into the ballast, and the lights into the ballast, and put the lights in the housing
Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #34
Annolino122 has a spectacular aura aboutAnnolino122 has a spectacular aura about

Also you all are correct, the wiring harness comes with the hi/lo... But if you don't have a wiring harness for your heads/fogs it's no harm to the truck, all that'll happen is when you turn it them on the lights will flicker then light up, or one of them won't turn on. It happens randomly with my fog lights but all you do is turn them off then back on and it fixes it
Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 AM   #35
VtotheZ's Tacoma Gallery
Okay so I'm confused because the ballasts plug into the fogs etc but there are a few wires on the ballast that nothing can plug into? Honestly when I see it how are they even getting power? Is there a write up at all?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Okay so I'm confused because the ballasts plug into the fogs etc but there are a few wires on the ballast that nothing can plug into? Honestly when I see it how are they even getting power? Is there a write up at all?
There should be the thick oval shape wire from the truck where your old fog lights plugged into. That plug goes into your ballast. Then the HID bulb has the two wires that plug into the ballast. It's that simple. All of it run I'm series, and it gets power from the original wiring