1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DDM tuning HID kit question: Do I need the relay harness?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tacomaguyny, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    CamboTaco

CamboTaco War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD 4WD. HEADSTRONG OFFROAD OME KIT.
    Weather Tech mats, rear add a leafs and 885 OME coil kit from Headstrong offroad.
    Just received my order that I placed May 20th... took a while to get here but now I have my HID kit for the fog lights... hopefully get those in sometime this weekend.
    They received my headlight for warranty inspection Tuesday, got an email yesterday saying it just had a loose connection and they fixed it and sent it out today. Should have it Monday and be back to FULL POWER! :devil:

2. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    VtotheZ

VtotheZ Active Member

Member:
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DBLB

So I have a 2013 TRD sport DBLB. I guess I'm an idiot and didn't realize the fogs were H11?!?!? I ordered the H10 because you have the same year just different trim level. WTF!? So pissed. Anyone ever delt with exchanging stuff from DDM? Ugggghhh I'm so mad at myself, I should have checked. Had everything installed and went to unplug the fog and noticed the housing was way off. The stock bulbs say H11

3. Jun 7, 2013 at 4:30 AM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Toyota tube steps / front skid plate / 20% tint / AVS ventshades / Lund Roll-top tonneau cover / 5000K HID headlights and driving lights
    That doesn't sound right. I also installed the H10 kit for the fogs on my father's 2013 double cab TRD Sport. His is a short bed and I doubt the fog lights housings are different from short and long bed trucks.

4. Jun 7, 2013 at 5:02 AM
    VtotheZ

VtotheZ Active Member

Member:
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DBLB
    Not sure what to say because I thought the same thing.... But the actual housing is much larger on the H10 than the H11. There is no way in hell it would ever fit. Plus my stock bulb says H11 right on it :(

5. Jun 7, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Toyota tube steps / front skid plate / 20% tint / AVS ventshades / Lund Roll-top tonneau cover / 5000K HID headlights and driving lights
    That's very interesting. I wonder if anyone else on the forum has heard of this.

6. Jun 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM
    CamboTaco

CamboTaco War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    Weather Tech mats, rear add a leafs and 885 OME coil kit from Headstrong offroad.
    ok now I'm worried... I've waited almost a month for these and if they don't fit ill be pissed at myself! but I mistakenly ordered the h11 and it didnt work.... so whiskey tango foxtrot batman?! As soon as I get back to my truck Sunday I'll pull the bulb and hope to see h10 on there! Will post reply asap

7. Jun 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    michaelw.grey

michaelw.grey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    pensacola, florida
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 SR5 3.4L V6 AUTO Ext Cab
    Full ome kit with 882's,icon uca's, line x bed, 32" bfg muds, 2nd gen rims, low pro tool box,
    ddm sucks balls, Ive been through 3 sets in the past two year. Now I go thourgh a local high end company in the U.S. out of atlanta, theretrofitsource.com, their stuf is pricy but its the best ive come across yet. Super fast shipping, amazing customer service, and not too far away in case something falls through and I i need to go chew some mofo out. lol all in all one of the bestinvestmants ive made.

8. Jun 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    CamboTaco

CamboTaco War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    so mine ARE h11! so the h11 kit I ordered before did not work and the h10 of course doesn't work... so I don't know what I'm going to do now.

9. Jun 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    VtotheZ

VtotheZ Active Member

Member:
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DBLB
    Awww that sucks... Why didn't your H11s work? Defective or install issues?

10. Jun 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    michaelw.grey

michaelw.grey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    pensacola, florida
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 SR5 3.4L V6 AUTO Ext Cab
    Full ome kit with 882's,icon uca's, line x bed, 32" bfg muds, 2nd gen rims, low pro tool box,
    Im telling ya. DDM has screwed me over way to many times. 3 sets of hid's and $400 later I started using theretrofitsource.com. I paid about $175 for a very nice heavy duty 55w bi-xenon 5000k kit that has worked wonders. Way better than anything else ive owned.

11. Jun 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    CamboTaco

CamboTaco War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    I really don't know why. The bulbs fit fine but it was like the stock plug wouldn't go in where it should. Like it wouldn't plug in all the way. I just put them in my girlfriends camry and they work just fine. I'm going to work on it again this weekend to see what I can figure out.

12. Jun 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    VtotheZ

VtotheZ Active Member

Member:
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DBLB
    Okay so trying to install my fog lights and I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing. I already installed my headlights without issue, had them on for a year and one of my headlights went out so considering they aren't that much money I ordered another set of bulbs, come to find out it was a faulty ballast.

Anyway so I ordered the H11 kit and I'm not sure what I'm doing. Do they need ballasts as well?? Is there a write up for a fog install lol? I ordered it from DDM tuning. So when I ordered them I ordered the fog kit and a pair of headlight bulbs. I thought I read that the fogs didn't need a ballast but I'm prolly a dumbass so bear with me. Anyway DDM sent me a bunch of stuff not sure what to use it all for.

Any advise would be helpful

13. Jun 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    Annolino122

Annolino122 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Evansville
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD off road
    I have a 2013 and the H11's fit in my fog lights. It was a tight squeeze with the weather seal but it works great!

And don't listen to 1 person about their experience with DDM, I had their fog lights and heads on my Subaru for 2 years no issues. I've had their heads and fogs on my tacoma for 2 years no issues, the wiring harness went bad and they replaced it no issue and pretty quickly (compared to initially ordering them).

VtotheZ.... You do need a ballast yes, otherwise they're pretty useless. And all you do is plug the stock wiring into the ballast, and the lights into the ballast, and put the lights in the housing

14. Jun 9, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    Annolino122

Member:
    Evansville
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD off road
    Also you all are correct, the wiring harness comes with the hi/lo... But if you don't have a wiring harness for your heads/fogs it's no harm to the truck, all that'll happen is when you turn it them on the lights will flicker then light up, or one of them won't turn on. It happens randomly with my fog lights but all you do is turn them off then back on and it fixes it

15. Jun 10, 2014 at 5:04 AM
    VtotheZ

VtotheZ Active Member

Member:
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DBLB
    Okay so I'm confused because the ballasts plug into the fogs etc but there are a few wires on the ballast that nothing can plug into? Honestly when I see it how are they even getting power? Is there a write up at all?

16. Jun 11, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    Annolino122

Member:
    Evansville
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD off road
    There should be the thick oval shape wire from the truck where your old fog lights plugged into. That plug goes into your ballast. Then the HID bulb has the two wires that plug into the ballast. It's that simple. All of it run I'm series, and it gets power from the original wiring

Products Discussed in

To Top