1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DDM tuning HID kit question: Do I need the relay harness?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tacomaguyny, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Apr 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Toyota tube steps / front skid plate / 20% tint / AVS ventshades / Lund Roll-top tonneau cover / 5000K HID headlights and driving lights
    I’m looking to put HID’s on my Tacoma and need some clarification on whether or not I need to purchase the relay harness.

I’m getting my kit from DDM and since you order “a la carte”, they don’t tell you exactly what you need for your application. Installation seems easy and I’ve read the Slim Cubby installation thread, but this will be my first time installing one of these units and I just want to be sure.

I want to do both the headlights and fogs. There’s a drop down menu that lists a relay wiring harness for $9.99. Do I need this? And if so, do I need to get another relay harness for the fogs or will one work for both?

Thanks!

2. Apr 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    For the highs/lows yes you do. For the fogs no.

3. Apr 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Toyota tube steps / front skid plate / 20% tint / AVS ventshades / Lund Roll-top tonneau cover / 5000K HID headlights and driving lights
    That's what I originally thought, but in the item description for the relay harness it states the following:

"*Not needed when purchasing or using a High / Low HID kit*"

4. Apr 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    GTABurnout

GTABurnout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior TRD SC
    Icons, TRD Supercharger, TRD Exhaust, TRD Intake
    Just put 55watt high lows from DDM in to my 07 and yes they will come with the harness.

5. Apr 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    OK - so I understand that I won't need the relay harness for the headlights because it already comes with DDM's hi/lo kit, but why wouldn't I need one for the fogs? Wouldn't it be a good idea to put those on a relay?

6. Apr 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    ONCE AGAIN, YOU NEED THE HARNESS. IT WON'T WORK WITHOUT IT.

7. Apr 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    Mexichink

Mexichink mexichink

Member:
    First Name:
    Enrique
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Ink Pearl 05 SR5 Base
    Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Spyder LED Tail Lights, Special Addition Ivan Stewart Magna Flow Exhaust, Blue CAI, IPCW Bermuda Black LED Brake Light, R1 Concept Slotted/Drilled Brake Disk, Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads,R Racing Blue Interior Floor Mats, R Racing Seat Covers, Blue LED Map Light, Blue LED Dome Light, Aftermarket Fog Lights with LED Surrounding the Fog Light, AVS Bug Shield, AVS Vent Shades, Mesh Grill, Plasti Dip Badges, Plasti Dip Center of Bumper, Plasti Dip Grill, Plasti Dip Back Bumper, Blue Dash Trim Interior, DDM Tuning 6000k 55w HID Headlight Low Beam and DDM Tuning 6000k 35w HID Fog Light, Custom Blue Interior Panels, Blue LED Cluster, Blue Gauges, Blue Speedometer with White Needles, Double Din Pioneer X5500BHS Touch Screen Radio, Blue Led UnderGlow, One 12" Kicker, DTR Mod,
    You should get it with the relay I have 35w from DDM in my fogs and it works great

8. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Just got off the phone with DDM.

You do NOT need to order an additional relay harness with the H4 hi/lo kit because it is already part of the hi/lo controller that is included within the kit.

You are NOT required to order the additional relay wiring harness with the H10 kit for the fogs - although it is recommended.

I'm ordering the following:

1 - H4 Hi/Lo 35 watt kit (headlights)
    1 - H10 35 watt kit (fog lights)
    1 - Relay harness for the fog lights
    2 - Ballast mounts (sold in pairs)

I'm going with 5000K as it seems to be the consensus around here that 5K is the whitest and I don't want anything ricey. :p

So everything look good here fellas??

Thanks again!

9. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    Mexichink

Mexichink mexichink

Member:
    First Name:
    Enrique
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Ink Pearl 05 SR5 Base
    Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Spyder LED Tail Lights, Special Addition Ivan Stewart Magna Flow Exhaust, Blue CAI, IPCW Bermuda Black LED Brake Light, R1 Concept Slotted/Drilled Brake Disk, Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads,R Racing Blue Interior Floor Mats, R Racing Seat Covers, Blue LED Map Light, Blue LED Dome Light, Aftermarket Fog Lights with LED Surrounding the Fog Light, AVS Bug Shield, AVS Vent Shades, Mesh Grill, Plasti Dip Badges, Plasti Dip Center of Bumper, Plasti Dip Grill, Plasti Dip Back Bumper, Blue Dash Trim Interior, DDM Tuning 6000k 55w HID Headlight Low Beam and DDM Tuning 6000k 35w HID Fog Light, Custom Blue Interior Panels, Blue LED Cluster, Blue Gauges, Blue Speedometer with White Needles, Double Din Pioneer X5500BHS Touch Screen Radio, Blue Led UnderGlow, One 12" Kicker, DTR Mod,
    you dont really need to spend the extra money on ballast mounts zip ties do the trick just saying

10. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    I hear ya, but for $2.99 a pair, why not, right?

I know most people use zip ties or industrial strength Velcro, but I figured the mounts would keep the ballasts from wobbling around too much. I was thinking I may sandwich a piece of rubber in between the mount and the mounting surface to dampen any vibration. I've read that HID ballasts can be kind of delicate.

11. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    wrong.

My 2011, all DDM, fogs/high/low all 35watt HIDs.

No relays needed.

and go 5k. Looks the best, great output of light.

12. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Yup, this is exactly how I understand it.

The Hi/Lo kit comes with the relay and the relay for the fogs are purely optional.

How's your setup held up so far, you liking it?

13. May 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Installed my HIDs over the weekend. The hi-lo kits kit for the headlights came with the relay harness and I ordered the optional relay harness for the driving lights. I think it looks great and to be honest, I don't understand what the big fuss is about needing projectors on this particular vehicle. The cut off for the headlight beams are pretty much exactly the same as with the stock setup. Prior to the install I taped lines on the wall of my garage for the low beams and the high beams and if anything, I'd say the new HID setup has a cut off that is slightly lower than with the halogens. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the fact that the bi-xenon lights have a shield that only allow a portion of the bulb to be exposed during low beam operation.

IMG_7489_zps8ca1430f_c34d5843c8ed63fb07b362f14a9505931f25e568.jpg

IMG_7486_zps3ac17bbf_690c37084381e870e6f4fc849e8ca73fb65c082c.jpg

IMG_7484_zps4d349f33_7f739d873a41aa120bf670db7767fc442fc8206b.jpg

IMG_7483_zpse6676ee9_faba0ac0cac02c94ae64b0ac3fdaa70e65276769.jpg

14. May 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    VtotheZ

VtotheZ Active Member

Member:
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DBLB
    Sent ya a PM

15. May 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    CamboTaco

CamboTaco War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD 4WD. HEADSTRONG OFFROAD OME KIT.
    Weather Tech mats, rear add a leafs and 885 OME coil kit from Headstrong offroad.
    I ordered mine from DDM. I read on one thread that the fogs were H11 bulbs, that is incorrect. After an hour or so trying to figure out why they weren't working, I figured it out... But the headlights went in no problem and had the relay built in with the hi/lo function. Everything was plug n play. As for the H11, by random luck, they are the right bulbs for my girlfriends 2012 camry so I put those in hers and reordered the H10 rather than trying to do the exchange. I will probably use the extra relay on the fogs just for good measure because in the process of trying to install the H11 in my fogs and then later on my girlfriends car. So I feel the harness is a good idea, but I don't think it is needed per say.

16. May 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    tacomaguyny

tacomaguyny [OP] Member

Member:
    Westchester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    The relay harness is not needed for the fogs, it's just an added measure of protection. I tested the operation without the relay harness first and the fogs lit right up, but I am running them with the relay harness so not to overload the vehicles wiring.

17. May 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    CamboTaco

CamboTaco War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    Weather Tech mats, rear add a leafs and 885 OME coil kit from Headstrong offroad.
    thats why I'm going to use the extra harness i have

18. May 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    CamboTaco

CamboTaco War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    Update: installed my headlights 2 saturdays ago. And one of them went out last Friday night. So after sending a warranty claim in on the bad headlight, I got a return authorization number the next day and sent the bulb back today. We will see how long it takes to get a replacement. Waiting for my fog light kit to be sent. The tracking number says it is still in China somewhere. Next update when I hear back after they inspect the defective bulb.

19. May 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    VtotheZ

VtotheZ Active Member

Member:
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DBLB
    Is the shipping pretty slow with DDM? I ordered on the 28th and haven't even got a tracking number yet :(

20. May 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    CamboTaco

CamboTaco War Eagle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Auburn
    Vehicle:
    yeah it is pretty slow. i placed my order May 20th, and got my fulfillment notice and tracking number May 21st, and tracking through usps it says it is still at the sort facility in China. I am going to call them today and see what the deal is on that and my warranty claim on my headlight. :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top