Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DDM tuning HID kit question: Do I need the relay harness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Junior Member
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road
 
tacomaguyny's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100752
Location: Westchester, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
DDM tuning HID kit question: Do I need the relay harness?

Iím looking to put HIDís on my Tacoma and need some clarification on whether or not I need to purchase the relay harness.

Iím getting my kit from DDM and since you order ďa la carteĒ, they donít tell you exactly what you need for your application. Installation seems easy and Iíve read the Slim Cubby installation thread, but this will be my first time installing one of these units and I just want to be sure.

I want to do both the headlights and fogs. Thereís a drop down menu that lists a relay wiring harness for $9.99. Do I need this? And if so, do I need to get another relay harness for the fogs or will one work for both?

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Junior Member
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road
 
tacomaguyny's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100752
Location: Westchester, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
For the highs/lows yes you do. For the fogs no.
That's what I originally thought, but in the item description for the relay harness it states the following:

"*Not needed when purchasing or using a High / Low HID kit*"
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
GTABurnout's Avatar
Joined: Aug 2011, #61724
Location: Tucson AZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 789
GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaguyny View Post
That's what I originally thought, but in the item description for the relay harness it states the following:

"*Not needed when purchasing or using a High / Low HID kit*"
Just put 55watt high lows from DDM in to my 07 and yes they will come with the harness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Junior Member
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road
 
tacomaguyny's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100752
Location: Westchester, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
OK - so I understand that I won't need the relay harness for the headlights because it already comes with DDM's hi/lo kit, but why wouldn't I need one for the fogs? Wouldn't it be a good idea to put those on a relay?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of
 
wing103's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2008, #7807
Location: Boston
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,027
wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaguyny View Post
OK - so I understand that I won't need the relay harness for the headlights because it already comes with DDM's hi/lo kit, but why wouldn't I need one for the fogs? Wouldn't it be a good idea to put those on a relay?
ONCE AGAIN, YOU NEED THE HARNESS. IT WON'T WORK WITHOUT IT.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Junior Member
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road
 
tacomaguyny's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100752
Location: Westchester, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
Just got off the phone with DDM.

You do NOT need to order an additional relay harness with the H4 hi/lo kit because it is already part of the hi/lo controller that is included within the kit.

You are NOT required to order the additional relay wiring harness with the H10 kit for the fogs - although it is recommended.

I'm ordering the following:

1 - H4 Hi/Lo 35 watt kit (headlights)
1 - H10 35 watt kit (fog lights)
1 - Relay harness for the fog lights
2 - Ballast mounts (sold in pairs)

I'm going with 5000K as it seems to be the consensus around here that 5K is the whitest and I don't want anything ricey.

So everything look good here fellas??

Thanks again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
mexichink
Mexichink is on a distinguished road
Name: Enrique
Joined: Jul 2012, #82546
Location: Northern Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 28
Mexichink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaguyny View Post
Just got off the phone with DDM.

You do NOT need to order an additional relay harness with the H4 hi/lo kit because it is already part of the hi/lo controller that is included within the kit.

You are NOT required to order the additional relay wiring harness with the H10 kit for the fogs - although it is recommended.

I'm ordering the following:

1 - H4 Hi/Lo 35 watt kit (headlights)
1 - H10 35 watt kit (fog lights)
1 - Relay harness for the fog lights
2 - Ballast mounts (sold in pairs)

I'm going with 5000K as it seems to be the consensus around here that 5K is the whitest and I don't want anything ricey.

So everything look good here fellas??

Thanks again!
you dont really need to spend the extra money on ballast mounts zip ties do the trick just saying
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Junior Member
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road
 
tacomaguyny's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100752
Location: Westchester, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexichink View Post
you dont really need to spend the extra money on ballast mounts zip ties do the trick just saying
I hear ya, but for $2.99 a pair, why not, right?

I know most people use zip ties or industrial strength Velcro, but I figured the mounts would keep the ballasts from wobbling around too much. I was thinking I may sandwich a piece of rubber in between the mount and the mounting surface to dampen any vibration. I've read that HID ballasts can be kind of delicate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Aw9d's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2011, #66635
Location: Az
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,323
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing103 View Post
ONCE AGAIN, YOU NEED THE HARNESS. IT WON'T WORK WITHOUT IT.
wrong.

My 2011, all DDM, fogs/high/low all 35watt HIDs.

No relays needed.

and go 5k. Looks the best, great output of light.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Junior Member
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road
 
tacomaguyny's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100752
Location: Westchester, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
wrong.

My 2011, all DDM, fogs/high/low all 35watt HIDs.

No relays needed.

and go 5k. Looks the best, great output of light.
Yup, this is exactly how I understand it.

The Hi/Lo kit comes with the relay and the relay for the fogs are purely optional.

How's your setup held up so far, you liking it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Junior Member
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road
 
tacomaguyny's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100752
Location: Westchester, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
Installed my HIDs over the weekend. The hi-lo kits kit for the headlights came with the relay harness and I ordered the optional relay harness for the driving lights. I think it looks great and to be honest, I don't understand what the big fuss is about needing projectors on this particular vehicle. The cut off for the headlight beams are pretty much exactly the same as with the stock setup. Prior to the install I taped lines on the wall of my garage for the low beams and the high beams and if anything, I'd say the new HID setup has a cut off that is slightly lower than with the halogens. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the fact that the bi-xenon lights have a shield that only allow a portion of the bulb to be exposed during low beam operation.







  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
Junior Member
VtotheZ is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2013, #103870
Location: Southern Cali
Gender: Male
Posts: 27
VtotheZ's Tacoma Gallery
Sent ya a PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
War Eagle!
CamboTaco is on a distinguished road
 
CamboTaco's Avatar
Name: Cameron
Joined: Apr 2013, #101100
Location: Auburn
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 34
CamboTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered mine from DDM. I read on one thread that the fogs were H11 bulbs, that is incorrect. After an hour or so trying to figure out why they weren't working, I figured it out... But the headlights went in no problem and had the relay built in with the hi/lo function. Everything was plug n play. As for the H11, by random luck, they are the right bulbs for my girlfriends 2012 camry so I put those in hers and reordered the H10 rather than trying to do the exchange. I will probably use the extra relay on the fogs just for good measure because in the process of trying to install the H11 in my fogs and then later on my girlfriends car. So I feel the harness is a good idea, but I don't think it is needed per say.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
Junior Member
tacomaguyny is on a distinguished road
 
tacomaguyny's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2013, #100752
Location: Westchester, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 12
tacomaguyny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamboTaco View Post
I ordered mine from DDM. I read on one thread that the fogs were H11 bulbs, that is incorrect. After an hour or so trying to figure out why they weren't working, I figured it out... But the headlights went in no problem and had the relay built in with the hi/lo function. Everything was plug n play. As for the H11, by random luck, they are the right bulbs for my girlfriends 2012 camry so I put those in hers and reordered the H10 rather than trying to do the exchange. I will probably use the extra relay on the fogs just for good measure because in the process of trying to install the H11 in my fogs and then later on my girlfriends car. So I feel the harness is a good idea, but I don't think it is needed per say.
The relay harness is not needed for the fogs, it's just an added measure of protection. I tested the operation without the relay harness first and the fogs lit right up, but I am running them with the relay harness so not to overload the vehicles wiring.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
War Eagle!
CamboTaco is on a distinguished road
 
CamboTaco's Avatar
Name: Cameron
Joined: Apr 2013, #101100
Location: Auburn
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 34
CamboTaco's Tacoma Gallery
thats why I'm going to use the extra harness i have
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
War Eagle!
CamboTaco is on a distinguished road
 
CamboTaco's Avatar
Name: Cameron
Joined: Apr 2013, #101100
Location: Auburn
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 34
CamboTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Update: installed my headlights 2 saturdays ago. And one of them went out last Friday night. So after sending a warranty claim in on the bad headlight, I got a return authorization number the next day and sent the bulb back today. We will see how long it takes to get a replacement. Waiting for my fog light kit to be sent. The tracking number says it is still in China somewhere. Next update when I hear back after they inspect the defective bulb.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
Junior Member
VtotheZ is on a distinguished road
Joined: May 2013, #103870
Location: Southern Cali
Gender: Male
Posts: 27
VtotheZ's Tacoma Gallery
Is the shipping pretty slow with DDM? I ordered on the 28th and haven't even got a tracking number yet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
War Eagle!
CamboTaco is on a distinguished road
 
CamboTaco's Avatar
Name: Cameron
Joined: Apr 2013, #101100
Location: Auburn
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 34
CamboTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheZ View Post
Is the shipping pretty slow with DDM? I ordered on the 28th and haven't even got a tracking number yet
yeah it is pretty slow. i placed my order May 20th, and got my fulfillment notice and tracking number May 21st, and tracking through usps it says it is still at the sort facility in China. I am going to call them today and see what the deal is on that and my warranty claim on my headlight.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DDM Tuning 35W HID kit tacomathunder Lighting 25 10-16-2013 07:41 AM
DDM Tuning Hid Kit... AWorthyOpponent Lighting 20 02-03-2013 09:14 AM
FS: DDM Tuning HID Kit Cortland 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace 8 04-30-2012 11:15 AM
help with ddm tuning hid kit Godawgs76 Lighting 2 09-21-2011 01:28 PM
DDM Tuning HID kit wareagle5693 Lighting 8 07-29-2010 10:19 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.