1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Access Cab Eating lights left and right...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Outsider, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Apr 27, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    Outsider

Outsider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB Tacoma Off-road Cement AT
    I wanted an MT.
    My taco is eating lights...5 head lights since jan (all warrantied thank god) Running lights, registration lights, etc...What in the world could be the problem?? I have NEVER NEVER NEVER had my truck in deep water or anything else....Any diagnostics that i could have ran to help narrow down the problem?? I am really green when it comes to electronic issues.

2. May 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    tacom08

tacom08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 2WD Rugged Trail Edition
    Flowmaster Super 10, K&N CAI, bumpers, LED taillights
    Same here. Brake light burnt out a while back, tail light removed and brake bulb replaced. Problem solved using this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0-PZ97fHpU

Now, my left side DRL is burnt out and my rear left turn signal is close to be.

3. May 8, 2013 at 3:25 AM
    Outsider

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I wanted an MT.
    Now the light that illuminates the Defrost/air knob selector went dark....my patience is wearing thin...

4. May 8, 2013 at 3:29 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    are you touching the bulbs with your bare hands?

5. May 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Headlights (halogen, xenon, etc.) are usually the only bulbs really sensitive to oils being on them, standard incandescents should be fine or shortened a bit.

OP-Are you the original owner? Maybe check to make sure your fuses are the correct amperage. A lot of them popping is weird but you never know electronic gremlins are vicious sometimes. Have you noticed them going while the truck is on/off/both?

6. May 9, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    Outsider

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I wanted an MT.
    I did not touch the glass on any of the blubs that i have installed, The last headlights i let the guys at advanced put them in for me, i did it every time exactley like they did...I replaced the license plate lights the other day for like 4 bucks, that i can handle...but all these other bulbs popping has bothered...I am the origional owner, i have done ZERO mods that required electrical work...The vent selector switch has me puzzled...i don't even know how to get into it to look at it, where to get a replacement, if its possible...etc...I am planning on keeping this truck for at least 5 - 8 more years, but its really starting to bother me.....

7. May 9, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    Outsider

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I wanted an MT.
    Every time the headlights went out it was while i was driving at night...oddly enough...

8. May 9, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    deepcoma

deepcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I had something like this going on in my past truck. Finally I traced it to a short in the wiring on my trailer hitch. Good luck with finding the problem, electrical is a PITA.

9. May 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The most common cause of premature failure of a light bulb is over-voltage. I suggest checking your battery voltage with a multimeter while the engine is running. While high load demands do increase the voltage slightly, you should traditionally see about 13-14 volts at the battery with the engine running, and accessories off. Any higher than that and you could have an internal voltage regulator problem. If you do read excessively high voltage, take the truck to a reputable shop and get the charging system looked at. It may cost a few dollars, but with headlight bulbs being so expensive, it will pay off in the long term.

10. May 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    I would add to Bill's excellent advice that if the voltage regulator is producing voltages greater than 15 VDC, you will be consuming more water in your wet battery and there could be a "rotten egg" odor present. You should check your electrolyte levels and add only distilled water to the proper levels. The plates need to always be coveredto prevent premature battery failures.

Products Discussed in

To Top