Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2010 Access Cab Eating lights left and right...

Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Outsider is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Honorabally Discharged Staff Sergent
Name: Nick
Outsider's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Access Cab Eating lights left and right...

My taco is eating lights...5 head lights since jan (all warrantied thank god) Running lights, registration lights, etc...What in the world could be the problem?? I have NEVER NEVER NEVER had my truck in deep water or anything else....Any diagnostics that i could have ran to help narrow down the problem?? I am really green when it comes to electronic issues.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
tacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacom08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
tacom08's Tacoma Gallery
Same here. Brake light burnt out a while back, tail light removed and brake bulb replaced. Problem solved using this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0-PZ97fHpU

Now, my left side DRL is burnt out and my rear left turn signal is close to be.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Now the light that illuminates the Defrost/air knob selector went dark....my patience is wearing thin...
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
are you touching the bulbs with your bare hands?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Headlights (halogen, xenon, etc.) are usually the only bulbs really sensitive to oils being on them, standard incandescents should be fine or shortened a bit.

OP-Are you the original owner? Maybe check to make sure your fuses are the correct amperage. A lot of them popping is weird but you never know electronic gremlins are vicious sometimes. Have you noticed them going while the truck is on/off/both?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
I did not touch the glass on any of the blubs that i have installed, The last headlights i let the guys at advanced put them in for me, i did it every time exactley like they did...I replaced the license plate lights the other day for like 4 bucks, that i can handle...but all these other bulbs popping has bothered...I am the origional owner, i have done ZERO mods that required electrical work...The vent selector switch has me puzzled...i don't even know how to get into it to look at it, where to get a replacement, if its possible...etc...I am planning on keeping this truck for at least 5 - 8 more years, but its really starting to bother me.....
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
Every time the headlights went out it was while i was driving at night...oddly enough...
Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
deepcoma will become famous soon enoughdeepcoma will become famous soon enough

deepcoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had something like this going on in my past truck. Finally I traced it to a short in the wiring on my trailer hitch. Good luck with finding the problem, electrical is a PITA.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
The most common cause of premature failure of a light bulb is over-voltage. I suggest checking your battery voltage with a multimeter while the engine is running. While high load demands do increase the voltage slightly, you should traditionally see about 13-14 volts at the battery with the engine running, and accessories off. Any higher than that and you could have an internal voltage regulator problem. If you do read excessively high voltage, take the truck to a reputable shop and get the charging system looked at. It may cost a few dollars, but with headlight bulbs being so expensive, it will pay off in the long term.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
I would add to Bill's excellent advice that if the voltage regulator is producing voltages greater than 15 VDC, you will be consuming more water in your wet battery and there could be a "rotten egg" odor present. You should check your electrolyte levels and add only distilled water to the proper levels. The plates need to always be coveredto prevent premature battery failures.