Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

3 -130w 6" KC 121s on one relay

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
3 -130w 6" KC 121s on one relay

According to the amp draw (32.5) I would think that this is no problem on a 40a relay. KC website says only 2.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
A 40A relay should be able to manage that power, just make sure the wires are thick enough.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
A 40A relay should be able to manage that power, just make sure the wires are thick enough.
my thought also. I might have trash the output wires that come with the 2 light kit for something heavier. I know on AC I would be looking at 8ga. but not sure on DC.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
I would use three relays for redundancy (unlikely to lose all three lights at once) and longevity (much less strain on the relay contacts).
Old 04-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend a #10 AWG stranded for 40 amps
Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #6

I am thinking 2 relays since there are only 2 outs on the one in the double light kit.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
my thought also. I might have trash the output wires that come with the 2 light kit for something heavier. I know on AC I would be looking at 8ga. but not sure on DC.
As Large mentioned, I'd use 10 ga. for the wire between the power source and the relay. If you run individual wires between the relay and the lights themselves, then you can use whatever wire came with the lights in their kit.

Yota Toy does bring up a good point though. If you're counting on these lights, redundancy could be something to take into consideration. Personally, I just through a couple extra relays in my glove box and if one fails, just swap it out but, if you don't want to have the hassle of fixing your wiring on a dark trail, multiple relays would ensure that at least 1 or 2 of the lights would continue to function.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am thinking 2 relays since there are only 2 outs on the one in the double light kit.
What do you mean '2 outs'? I had assumed you'd all but scrapped the 'kit' wiring since you're wiring 3 lights and had purchased a 40A relay. Make sure your power for the lights isn't going through the switch. Sometimes those 'kits' aren't wired very well.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What do you mean '2 outs'? I had assumed you'd all but scrapped the 'kit' wiring since you're wiring 3 lights and had purchased a 40A relay. Make sure your power for the lights isn't going through the switch. Sometimes those 'kits' aren't wired very well.
definitely power for lights through relay. I use to do this a lot as a young man but it has been a while. The KC kit has a 40. Sounds like I need to do some research on relays. Right now o am window shopping. In fact I am killing time at dealer while they detail my truck.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
definitely power for lights through relay. I use to do this a lot as a young man but it has been a while. The KC kit has a 40. Sounds like I need to do some research on relays. Right now o am window shopping. In fact I am killing time at dealer while they detail my truck.
Oh, ditch the KC relay and pick up a 4 prong automotive relay at your local auto parts store. Just make sure it's a 40A relay as most common ones are only rated for 30. You could quickly splice in a new relay into the KC kit with very little effort.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #11

I am trying to figure this out. If the relay has 2 outputs should I power 2 light off 1 and the third off the other? Last time I did this was in the 80s and I had 4 lights on one relay. I am sure I ran 2 off each output.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am trying to figure this out. If the relay has 2 outputs should I power 2 light off 1 and the third off the other? Last time I did this was in the 80s and I had 4 lights on one relay. I am sure I ran 2 off each output.
Yep.

Remember that a single pole relay only has one set of contacts. All the power is going through a single contact, the extra output terminal is just an easy way to attach more wiring.

It's worth remembering that whatever wire you put downstream of a fuse should be able to handle what the fuse is rated at.

I have wired two pieces of 14 gauge to a relay output before, and although the wire was rated to handle the amperage of the light it was feeding, it wasn't rated to handle the amperage rating of the fuse. In all likelihood, it would never have been a problem, since the most likely reason for the fuse to blow would be a short to ground, the fuse would go fast. Just something to think about.