Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Why do I seem to be the only one that can't get the headlight housing separated?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Caliyota is on a distinguished road
Caliyota's Tacoma Gallery
Why do I seem to be the only one that can't get the headlight housing separated?

Im on my 2nd set of housings. I've tried different temps ranging from 250 to 315, different times from 10-15 mins, heat on and off, and all I've accomplished is to scar the plastic of the housing and actually melting the lens on one to where I was able to deform it by pressing on it. I've read through multiple threads on this site, and it seems as if every post I've seen says that those who have done their retrofit were able to separate the housings with little or no trouble at all. What am I missing/doing wrong? I'm about to give up on doing a retrofit altogether.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I had to "bake" mine a lot longer than others to get them apart. Oven always OFF and lights on cardboard!!! I tried 10 minutes, no luck, 5 more minutes, and 5 more minutes. Your oven temp could be off (I know mine is, which caused a longer "baking" time) Patience is your friend and they are a bear to get apart. Done both twice Make sure you have all the screws, etc out.

good luck
Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
275 for 10 minutes works great. Prehead the oven, let it get to them, then turn it off when you put the lens in and start your timer. Did you take out the 3 torx screws on the outter edge of the headlight? Also, there are 4 tabs that hold the lens to the housing on the inner side of the light. Make sure you put the light on cardboard otherwise the metal rack can melt the housing.

Edit, yeah, what Susan said...
Old 04-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Well I have a 1st gen (2000), so I don't have the torx screws. All tabs are off. All hardware is off, at least all of the ones that would hold the lens to the back half. They are ebay headlights if that makes a difference. Thanks for the quick replies though. I'm at my wits end.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliyota View Post
Well I have a 1st gen (2000), so I don't have the torx screws. All tabs are off. All hardware is off, at least all of the ones that would hold the lens to the back half. They are ebay headlights if that makes a difference. Thanks for the quick replies though. I'm at my wits end.
Crap, sorry, I didn't realize you were a 1st Gen I have no experience with 1st Gens, only 2nd Gen lights.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
eBay headlights are probably different
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder if they may be glued or some other more permanent sealant? Have you tried to contact the manufacturer?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Crap, sorry, I didn't realize you were a 1st Gen I have no experience with 1st Gens, only 2nd Gen lights.
x2 sorry
Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Wonder if they may be glued or some other more permanent sealant? Have you tried to contact the manufacturer?
No I haven't, Im sure they're chinese made
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
For those wondering, the Anzo brand headlights come right apart