Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Looking for bixenon lights, questions

Old 02-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
basiccable is on a distinguished road
basiccable's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for bixenon lights, questions

I want to get a new set of HID lights, but my research into the subject is leading me in circles. I want HIDs that are authentic, not just fake halogen light bulbs. Also, I'm looking at 6000K and 8000K but can't decide between them. I want the most light possible. Then, I'm not really sure what the difference between 9003 and 9008 model lights are. Could anyone recommend a guide, or is anyone willing to advise me?

Much Appreciated.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
your in luck bro. there is a GB going on right now for some sweet HID's. I bought a set and I love them!
your truck will use 9004 size lights. I bought the 6K bixenon 35W.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...2-24-09-a.html
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
6000K bixenon will be good enough. I have it on my Taco. And I love it.
Also I install another set 4000K Yellow for the Fog light.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
jluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jon
jluu44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing103 View Post
6000K bixenon will be good enough. I have it on my Taco. And I love it.
Also I install another set 4000K Yellow for the Fog light.
How are the HIDs for the fog lights? Does it blind other people on the road?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
2009Taco is on a distinguished road
Navy: Information Systems Technician, Second Class
2009Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 2009Taco
if you want the most light possible, you should look at the 4300. They are the whitest bulbs you can get before they get more into the blue and purple.

i have 4300's in my headlights and fog lights. the fog lights don't blind people. the headlights don't blind people, but they are bright. they are directed properly, but they are just very bright, so people sometimes think i have my hi-beams on.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
apkarian100 will become famous soon enoughapkarian100 will become famous soon enough

apkarian100's Tacoma Gallery
4300k or 4500k bulbs will give you the most light possible. I'd recommend going on retro-solutions.com. They are a nice aftermarket HID company with a great rep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basiccable View Post
I want to get a new set of HID lights, but my research into the subject is leading me in circles. I want HIDs that are authentic, not just fake halogen light bulbs. Also, I'm looking at 6000K and 8000K but can't decide between them. I want the most light possible. Then, I'm not really sure what the difference between 9003 and 9008 model lights are. Could anyone recommend a guide, or is anyone willing to advise me?

Much Appreciated.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Newbie here
GT_Taco will become famous soon enough

GT_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to GT_Taco Send a message via Yahoo to GT_Taco
I'd def get in on the group buy that ends next week.. I am in the same boat looking for HIDs.. and there seem to be a large num of people on here that have bought the same or similar sets to what is in the group buy that are very satisfied with the product. Also from what I have seen around the web, it is certainly a good price for a true HID product.

I am ordering a set for the headlights, a set for the fogs, and a set for my motorcycle..
Old 02-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot what brand I got but i got the telescoping H4 6k and they are awesome! im going to get some for my foglights
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
from personal experience is you want to SEE and are looking for actual FUNCTION dont buy 6000 rice boy HID's and don't buy anything unless it is original phillips!!
i bought some bi xenons recently and they unfortunatly sent me the taiwan crap bulbs and ballasts.
first of all they were 6000K and blue light doesnt reflect for shit off of anything! everything you see is like 1/2 the intensity it should be!
in addition to that the alignment of the crappy bulbs caused hot spots in the beam pattern.
when i got the phillips replacements i was supposed to originally get the hot spots were gone and the beam pattern perfect and the light output of the 4300's was 2 times as bright as the old set i had.
also as hids age they will get more blue, when a 4300 bulb has been used for a couple hundred hours they will get just slightly blue and they will have reached their maximum output.
also the ballast is key get original phillips ballasts ther eis a difference!
in the end you will pay a little more but you will have the function and the system will outlast the vehicle.

also anything thats higher than 5000K is not road legal anyway so if you dont want to look like a ricer and you dont want to get tickets stick with the 4300 bulbs
Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Where to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
from personal experience is you want to SEE and are looking for actual FUNCTION dont buy 6000 rice boy HID's and don't buy anything unless it is original phillips!!
i bought some bi xenons recently and they unfortunatly sent me the taiwan crap bulbs and ballasts.
first of all they were 6000K and blue light doesnt reflect for shit off of anything! everything you see is like 1/2 the intensity it should be!
in addition to that the alignment of the crappy bulbs caused hot spots in the beam pattern.
when i got the phillips replacements i was supposed to originally get the hot spots were gone and the beam pattern perfect and the light output of the 4300's was 2 times as bright as the old set i had.
also as hids age they will get more blue, when a 4300 bulb has been used for a couple hundred hours they will get just slightly blue and they will have reached their maximum output.
also the ballast is key get original phillips ballasts ther eis a difference!
in the end you will pay a little more but you will have the function and the system will outlast the vehicle.

also anything thats higher than 5000K is not road legal anyway so if you dont want to look like a ricer and you dont want to get tickets stick with the 4300 bulbs
i bought my headlights and fog lights from a group buy a few months ago. so far they are good. as you stated phillips would be a better option, where is a good place to get them?

thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
bass mechanic has a spectacular aura aboutbass mechanic has a spectacular aura about
bass mechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Taco View Post
i bought my headlights and fog lights from a group buy a few months ago. so far they are good. as you stated phillips would be a better option, where is a good place to get them?

thanks
i only buy from www.xenondepot.com the owner of the site is top notch, he actually realised that his shipper sent me the wrong shit! he made them at their expense send me the right stuff i paid for and return the old parts at no cost to me.
this lesson taught me there is no substitute for the real deal. buy phillips or dont bother.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
Quote:
i only buy from www.xenondepot.com the owner of the site is top notch, he actually realised that his shipper sent me the wrong shit! he made them at their expense send me the right stuff i paid for and return the old parts at no cost to me.
this lesson taught me there is no substitute for the real deal. buy phillips or dont bother.
oh ok, i actually got my motorcycle HID's from him. haven't installed them yet though.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
apkarian100 will become famous soon enoughapkarian100 will become famous soon enough

Putting HIDs in reflector housings is illegal too.

But yah, don't do 6000k. If you want that touch of blue in your HIDs, then do a projector retrofit. The original blue hue from HIDs comes from the cutoff shield, not the bulb.
Quote:
also anything thats higher than 5000K is not road legal anyway
Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #16

Check Ebay for Philips 85122 or Phillips 85122+ bulbs. These are 4300k, the best HID bulbs out there.
Quote:
as you stated phillips would be a better option, where is a good place to get them?

thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #17
elephatitis is on a distinguished road
elephatitis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by basiccable View Post

Much Appreciated.
you want authentic do a retrofit, you will be very pleased with the results and wont annoy other drivers with glare from plug n play kits
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephatitis View Post
you want authentic do a retrofit, you will be very pleased with the results and wont annoy other drivers with glare from plug n play kits
same question, where is a good place to get a retofit kit? someplace besides ebay. and do they make one w/o all the halos and led's around it?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #19

You won't be able to find a "retrofit kit". You have to research the topic and buy the individual parts you want. Go on HIDPlanet.com and read up on how to do a retrofit.
Quote:
same question, where is a good place to get a retofit kit? someplace besides ebay. and do they make one w/o all the halos and led's around it?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #20
The Not So New guy
ComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura aboutComaTosin has a spectacular aura about

Name: Drew
ComaTosin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apkarian100 View Post
You won't be able to find a "retrofit kit". You have to research the topic and buy the individual parts you want. Go on HIDPlanet.com and read up on how to do a retrofit.
i think this dude has a true retro-fit kit. maybe someone else can confirm.
"x-travagant" he is on this forum. search it. they look cool and do NOT have to have the halo effect if not desired. I think i made my mind up to go with these if i had the money. can anyone confirm that these are legit and true retrofit?