LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HIDs. Best brand.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTRS View Post
Definitely not true, unfortunately.

Stick to a retrofit if you don't want to blind people and do it right the first time.

Even I ran a drop in HID kit many moons ago before I really learned about the benefits of retrofitting.
He has spoken
Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
There is some really great info in the following thread for those that think 10,000K or drop ins are a great idea.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/engine...then-some.html
Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
There is some really great info in the following thread for those that think 10,000K or drop ins are a great idea.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/engine...then-some.html
Nice link! Stealing that for sure
Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
A dizzying amount of info there but a worthwhile education.

Back to the intent of this. If one were to get a set of HIDs (my 4Runner already has projector low beams so I CAN use drop ins), what is a good, well priced source/brand?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
PMs = Not good for TRS Questions
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewTRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Back to the intent of this. If one were to get a set of HIDs (my 4Runner already has projector low beams so I CAN use drop ins), what is a good, well priced source/brand?
We just got back from a trip to our suppliers overseas. I know for a fact many other brands people rave about have not been overseas to ensure they know the conditions of where their parts are built.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
XFelon is on a distinguished road
XFelon's Tacoma Gallery
Morimoto = Best there is hands down
Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Morimoto. Make the investment now so you aren't doing it later. I have run many different brands of HIDs in a multitude of different settings (headlights, driving lights, on ATVs, etc) and have found that nothing that I got for cheap seemed to last and they all seemed to go out at the most inopportune times. Go with morimoto or something similar and get the best warm-up times and turn your lights on time after time without worry that one just might not fire... I won't go low quality on HIDs ever again
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

We eat/drink/live this stuff like none other

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSR5z52bmQ
Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #29
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Definitely not true, unfortunately.

Stick to a retrofit if you don't want to blind people and do it right the first time.

Even I ran a drop in HID kit many moons ago before I really learned about the benefits of retrofitting.
this.

i can pull plenty of comparisions from the gurus over at HID Planet proving the glare and everything else side by side.
if you have a PnP kit, you have a glare no matter what you say.
save some $$ and buy it right the first time. for a few hundred you can be using a morimoto retro that is almost as easy to install as a new headlight bulb.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
Buck717 is on a distinguished road

Buck717's Tacoma Gallery
If you can't afford to do it right, then why do anything at all?
Drop-ins cause me to blind you with my high beams. Fortunately they're illegal in PA.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #31
Yes, I got boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck717 View Post
If you can't afford to do it right, then why do anything at all?
Drop-ins cause me to blind you with my high beams. Fortunately they're illegal in PA.
They're quite illegal everywhere, but that law is seldom enforced.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #32
Buck717 is on a distinguished road

Buck717's Tacoma Gallery
That's too bad.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #33
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
They're quite illegal everywhere, but that law is seldom enforced.
Retrofits are illegal too. If you piss off a cop enough he will ding you with or without projectors.

It's illegal to modify the lights in any sort of way...

I have a PNP HID kit right now and don't doubt that projectors are better, But can't justify spending over $300 for it right now, While my sylvania ZXE's were beginning to burn out (right one was changing colors to a less white yellowy color) I splurged an extra $20 more then replacement halogens and got a high and low HID kit... It works to expectations, Their DDM's 35W Hi/Low 5000K

I did find cheaper projectors that seem to work pretty good (from what i've read up on them). $85

http://www.modifystreet.com/Lighting...nts-Combo-Set/

Wouldn't trust their HID kits though...
Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
Retrofits are illegal too. If you piss off a cop enough he will ding you with or without projectors.

It's illegal to modify the lights in any sort of way...
Also true, however we have perhaps 50+ jurisdictions in the US telling people they cite for HIDs to come to us for retrofit parts. Even cops love retrofits.

Hard to tell it's not OEM if it's installed and aimed correctly.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #35
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also true, however we have perhaps 50+ jurisdictions in the US telling people they cite for HIDs to come to us for retrofit parts. Even cops love retrofits.

Hard to tell it's not OEM if it's installed and aimed correctly.
Because of the decisions of a few officers to suggest a retrofit doesn't exactly make it legal. They don't write the law but enforce it at their own will... I worked for the Oakland Police Dept. for a few years and have many LEO friends in various departments, I can name a good amount that have a drop in kit on their own cars. Doesn't make it legal...

But thats where I said if you pissed off the cop enough, He'll go for whatever he can do... With our trucks, Tacoma's are extremely common vehicles and most people that do a retrofit also do a BHLM with it so it's pretty easy to spot that the headlights have been modified.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
do not get 55w drop in hids
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #37

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Morimoto. Make the investment now so you aren't doing it later. I have run many different brands of HIDs in a multitude of different settings (headlights, driving lights, on ATVs, etc) and have found that nothing that I got for cheap seemed to last and they all seemed to go out at the most inopportune times. Go with morimoto or something similar and get the best warm-up times and turn your lights on time after time without worry that one just might not fire... I won't go low quality on HIDs ever again
I am for sure a do it once right, type of person. I didn't mean to imply I would consider a cheap set, just wanted to know what was good quality at a fair price.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
None. Go retro. :thumbup:
Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #39
Chargin18 is on a distinguished road
Name: charlie
Chargin18's Tacoma Gallery
After 6 months of having my 10000k Kensun lights, they went out. The actually unit, the box not the bulbs went out. I bought them used from a friend so I will see if they have a warranty.