Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Question about LED Strobe lights

Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question about LED Strobe lights

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a set of amber LED 'panels'. It's for a little project on my truck. Anyway, the only LED panels that I've seen that I like are LED Strobe light panels from Ebay. They are flat, the size I want, amber & LED.

I've already asked a couple of sellers but they say no, it will only strobe. I keep thinking they are wrong and without the control box, I can make it work as I want it to.

My question is this: Can I use these lights in "always on" mode?

Since the controller that comes with the lights only has strobe functions, I won't be using the controller. If I were to cut the wires coming out of the panel & simply connect positive to a power wire and run the ground to a on/off switch, will they work?
or is there something in the controller box that is vital to the lights working at all?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-48-LED-Pa...08dfde&vxp=mtr

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
i would THINK that the control box is the only part that is making them strobe...and i would THINK that they would be constant on if they were wired directly to the 12v power
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
What are you going to use them for? Even if you could get them on to stay solid I wonder how bright they would be since they are made for strobing? Might be pretty bright.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
I am about 99.9% sure that if you remove the box, they will function as constant on when given power and ground.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys. That is what I'm thinking as well. I would think the control box is the only thing that makes them 'strobe'. If I remove that from the equation, then I should be able to make them stay on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
What are you going to use them for? Even if you could get them on to stay solid I wonder how bright they would be since they are made for strobing? Might be pretty bright.
Yeah, I don't know how bright they will be either. It's a very good and valid point. I'm thinking of using them as DTRL. If they're too bright, then of course i'll be tossing the idea out the window. I am thinking about mounting them in the two triangular voids on the front grill. I'd be cutting the back of those triangles out & replacing it with some type of black mesh material. I'd be mounting these lights behind the mesh & running them as DTRL with an on/off switch in the cab.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
Yeah, I don't know how bright they will be either. It's a very good and valid point. I'm thinking of using them as DTRL. If they're too bright, then of course i'll be tossing the idea out the window. I am thinking about mounting them in the two triangular voids on the front grill. I'd be cutting the back of those triangles out & replacing it with some type of black mesh material. I'd be mounting these lights behind the mesh & running them as DTRL with an on/off switch in the cab.
I'm assuming you dont like the OEM DTRL's? Have you thought about the fog light anytime mod?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Baja bound

Actually, I really like the OEM DTRL with the Anytime Fog Mod. (I already have the Anytime Fog mod)
The thing is that I drive quite a bit and I've heard other owners talking about their lenses melting and such - which I definitely don't want to happen.

So I thought about LED bulbs in the stock DTRL location. But then I'm thinking the 'look' will not be the same. I replaced my corner lights with LED lights and they are nowhere near as bright as the halogen bulbs. So I fear that LED 'bulbs' as DTRL will not look as bright or amber as I like either.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
Actually, I really like the OEM DTRL with the Anytime Fog Mod. (I already have the Anytime Fog mod)
The thing is that I drive quite a bit and I've heard other owners talking about their lenses melting and such - which I definitely don't want to happen.

So I thought about LED bulbs in the stock DTRL location. But then I'm thinking the 'look' will not be the same. I replaced my corner lights with LED lights and they are nowhere near as bright as the halogen bulbs. So I fear that LED 'bulbs' as DTRL will not look as bright or amber as I like either.
You can get bright LED bulbs but it will cost you plus you need resistors to get rid of the hyper blink.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
If you remove the control box they might burn out. Most of the time the flasher is where the resistors are built in and straight to 12v will burn them out.