1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about LED Strobe lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 619Tacoma, May 6, 2013.

1. May 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma [OP] Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Hello all,

I am looking to buy a set of amber LED 'panels'. It's for a little project on my truck. Anyway, the only LED panels that I've seen that I like are LED Strobe light panels from Ebay. They are flat, the size I want, amber & LED.

I've already asked a couple of sellers but they say no, it will only strobe. I keep thinking they are wrong and without the control box, I can make it work as I want it to.

My question is this: Can I use these lights in "always on" mode?

Since the controller that comes with the lights only has strobe functions, I won't be using the controller. If I were to cut the wires coming out of the panel & simply connect positive to a power wire and run the ground to a on/off switch, will they work?
    or is there something in the controller box that is vital to the lights working at all?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-48-LED-P...Parts_Accessories&hash=item485508dfde&vxp=mtr

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    i would THINK that the control box is the only part that is making them strobe...and i would THINK that they would be constant on if they were wired directly to the 12v power

3. May 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    What are you going to use them for? Even if you could get them on to stay solid I wonder how bright they would be since they are made for strobing? Might be pretty bright.

4. May 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I am about 99.9% sure that if you remove the box, they will function as constant on when given power and ground.

5. May 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Thanks guys. That is what I'm thinking as well. I would think the control box is the only thing that makes them 'strobe'. If I remove that from the equation, then I should be able to make them stay on.

Yeah, I don't know how bright they will be either. It's a very good and valid point. I'm thinking of using them as DTRL. If they're too bright, then of course i'll be tossing the idea out the window. I am thinking about mounting them in the two triangular voids on the front grill. I'd be cutting the back of those triangles out & replacing it with some type of black mesh material. I'd be mounting these lights behind the mesh & running them as DTRL with an on/off switch in the cab.

6. May 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm assuming you dont like the OEM DTRL's? Have you thought about the fog light anytime mod?

7. May 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Actually, I really like the OEM DTRL with the Anytime Fog Mod. (I already have the Anytime Fog mod)
    The thing is that I drive quite a bit and I've heard other owners talking about their lenses melting and such - which I definitely don't want to happen.

So I thought about LED bulbs in the stock DTRL location. But then I'm thinking the 'look' will not be the same. I replaced my corner lights with LED lights and they are nowhere near as bright as the halogen bulbs. So I fear that LED 'bulbs' as DTRL will not look as bright or amber as I like either.

8. May 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    Let us know how these work out if you get them

9. May 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    You can get bright LED bulbs but it will cost you plus you need resistors to get rid of the hyper blink.

10. May 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    If you remove the control box they might burn out. Most of the time the flasher is where the resistors are built in and straight to 12v will burn them out.

Products Discussed in

To Top