1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Intensity: Flood vs Spot Beam

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by evilbit, May 9, 2013.

1. May 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    evilbit

evilbit [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emir
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 6spd V6 Access
    Leer 122 shell (high top), 3" OME lift, diff drop kit, Total Chaos UCAs, DeMello hybrid bolt on rock sliders, Pelfreybilt rear bumper with swing-out gate, Pelfreybilt aluminum skid plates (IFS/mid), ARB front bumper w/ custom MLO light pods, Rigid 24" light bar, ARB Air Locker front/back, 4.56 gears, ARB high output compressor with pump-up kit, scuba mod, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with synthetic cable, 255/85/16 BFG MT T/A KM2 on ProComp Rock Crawler Series 87 steelies, Wet Okole seat covers, WeatherTech floor trays, Hypertech Inline Speedo Calibrator, JVC KD-X50BT mechless stereo, LED lights (interior/rear+brake/reverse/front marker)
    Could someone please explain which is better for what, i.e. under what kind of driving conditions would you rather have a spot beam vs flood beam? Would having one of each (individually controlled, of course) a feasible, or even a desirable option?

I'm considering installing a pair but I'm not sure which way to go. Most of my trips are around Utah (desert like Moab or mountains like Wasatch, Uintas, or even the Wind River in WY). No mudding or major wading. Long term plans for a trip south of the border, and one to Yukon/Alaska.

I'd really appreciate some crowd wisdom, these lights are pretty expensive so I kinda need to get this right :confused:

Thanks!

2. May 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    I can't speak to the ARB lights but the RI Dually D2s in "spot" are extremely floody, it is a stretch to even call them spot pattern. But I don't mean that to come across as a negative, I love my D2s! My two cents: Pick your light pattern based on vehicle speed. If you are crawling get flood. Highway speeds need spot pattern...

3. May 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Go Flood. Unless you're desert running, you won't need to see 2km ahead of you. The Floods are more than powerful enough that unless you're being highly illegal with your right foot, you'll never out drive them.

4. May 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    evilbit

evilbit [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emir
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 6spd V6 Access
    Leer 122 shell (high top), 3" OME lift, diff drop kit, Total Chaos UCAs, DeMello hybrid bolt on rock sliders, Pelfreybilt rear bumper with swing-out gate, Pelfreybilt aluminum skid plates (IFS/mid), ARB front bumper w/ custom MLO light pods, Rigid 24" light bar, ARB Air Locker front/back, 4.56 gears, ARB high output compressor with pump-up kit, scuba mod, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with synthetic cable, 255/85/16 BFG MT T/A KM2 on ProComp Rock Crawler Series 87 steelies, Wet Okole seat covers, WeatherTech floor trays, Hypertech Inline Speedo Calibrator, JVC KD-X50BT mechless stereo, LED lights (interior/rear+brake/reverse/front marker)
    So basically spot is for higher speeds, such as desert racing or the highway? In that case, flood would make more sense because I only need these lights when on trail and then I'll be slow for sure.

5. May 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    I know I had 2 sets of d2s, flood and spot. spot was alot better, plenty of spread and nice distance.

6. May 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I got mine for deer on the highway. They've done that job perfectly. Again, it's just my opinion, but I still say flood. :p

7. May 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is no standard in off-road lighting. One company's spot can be wider than another's flood. Look at the output of the light and decide what you want. Just like speakers, you need to try before you buy. Lots of people do one spot and one flood. I prefer a pair of floods and a pair of spots. You really can't generalize too much though... lights are unique. Many floods are useless beyond 25-50 yards. Is that enough?

8. May 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    LED's put out so much light. HID's are different. Since you're looking at LED, go with a spot. There's enough ambient light coming off that it lights up the area similar to a flood.

My light bar is a combo. and its the tits. you could also just get one of each.

9. May 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    jameskhana

jameskhana Maibatsu Monstrosity

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB Base 4x4 6spd
    FWIW I just asked Wil at Sierra Expeditions the same question last week and he recommended that I run one of each pattern for these specific lights.

Products Discussed in

To Top