Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

ARB Intensity: Flood vs Spot Beam

Old 05-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
evilbit is on a distinguished road
Name: Emir
evilbit's Tacoma Gallery
Question ARB Intensity: Flood vs Spot Beam

Could someone please explain which is better for what, i.e. under what kind of driving conditions would you rather have a spot beam vs flood beam? Would having one of each (individually controlled, of course) a feasible, or even a desirable option?

I'm considering installing a pair but I'm not sure which way to go. Most of my trips are around Utah (desert like Moab or mountains like Wasatch, Uintas, or even the Wind River in WY). No mudding or major wading. Long term plans for a trip south of the border, and one to Yukon/Alaska.

I'd really appreciate some crowd wisdom, these lights are pretty expensive so I kinda need to get this right

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak to the ARB lights but the RI Dually D2s in "spot" are extremely floody, it is a stretch to even call them spot pattern. But I don't mean that to come across as a negative, I love my D2s! My two cents: Pick your light pattern based on vehicle speed. If you are crawling get flood. Highway speeds need spot pattern...
Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Go Flood. Unless you're desert running, you won't need to see 2km ahead of you. The Floods are more than powerful enough that unless you're being highly illegal with your right foot, you'll never out drive them.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
I know I had 2 sets of d2s, flood and spot. spot was alot better, plenty of spread and nice distance.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine for deer on the highway. They've done that job perfectly. Again, it's just my opinion, but I still say flood.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
There is no standard in off-road lighting. One company's spot can be wider than another's flood. Look at the output of the light and decide what you want. Just like speakers, you need to try before you buy. Lots of people do one spot and one flood. I prefer a pair of floods and a pair of spots. You really can't generalize too much though... lights are unique. Many floods are useless beyond 25-50 yards. Is that enough?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
JabbaJabbaJabba
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
LED's put out so much light. HID's are different. Since you're looking at LED, go with a spot. There's enough ambient light coming off that it lights up the area similar to a flood.

My light bar is a combo. and its the tits. you could also just get one of each.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Maibatsu Monstrosity
Jaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of light
Name: James
Jaime's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW I just asked Wil at Sierra Expeditions the same question last week and he recommended that I run one of each pattern for these specific lights.