Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Some HID Conversion Lighting Questions

Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Jarrettc10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jarrett
Jarrettc10's Tacoma Gallery
Some HID Conversion Lighting Questions

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting HID conversion kits for my truck and I wanted to ask your opinions on them. Im thinking about getting either 6000k or 8000k for my headlights. I'm not quite sure what the difference is and was just wondering what you guys thought. I am also wondering if I should match my fog lights to my headlights or if I should get some 3000k for my fog lights. Im new to these conversion kits and just need some advice from people who have seem them first hand. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Dont.. You are asking about PNP HID setups. Spend the extra money and do it right by retro fitting. TRS is good for that and I would go 4300 or 5000 as they are brighter than 6000 or 8000
Old 05-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

I was actually thinking about going through HIDnation.com for them. My friend put them in his titan and they look great.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrettc10 View Post
I was actually thinking about going through HIDnation.com for them. My friend put them in his titan and they look great.
I don't see any retrofit kits on hidnation.com?

If you're not going to do a retrofit, then don't get HID's.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yes they look nice but the light output is scattered and hard on other drivers. and 6000k and 8000k actually arent as bright as the 4300k and 5000k. They are more blue but they are not brighter
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting HID conversion kits for my truck and I wanted to ask your opinions on them. Im thinking about getting either 6000k or 8000k for my headlights. I'm not quite sure what the difference is and was just wondering what you guys thought. I am also wondering if I should match my fog lights to my headlights or if I should get some 3000k for my fog lights. Im new to these conversion kits and just need some advice from people who have seem them first hand. Thanks a lot!
no, u shouldnt match ur fogs with ANY HID drop in kits......They have zero h10 or h11 HID bulbs with glare shields, and u will end up blinding others....been there with 2 kits b4 I knew better.

headlights (ours) are not designed for HIDs and will create a lot of glare/scatter because HID works on an arc, not a filament.

if u want HID without blinding others, check out theretrofitsource.com and buy some real projectors (also, those ebay/spyder projectors suck).

u can then retrofit ur lights to be HID projectors and have the best lighting available.

as for color.........

they are based off of Kelvin.......... 4300K is white.

6000K+ are purely for asthetics and provide LESS light, and the blue is actually more irritation to the eye (everyones).

high end cars NEVER come from the factory with blue lights.....they are philips 4300K. the blue u see is only a cutoff line/colorband and is an artifact of the projector, NOT the bulbs.

look at a stage light, they use projection, and the corona is...............blue.

all these "HID like" halogens, "super blue", "cool blue", and the 6000K+ HIDS are marketing gimmicks.

halogen manufacturers are in it for profits........they are playing on the unknown....and most people do not know that oem HID projector setups are white light. The imposters selling blue lights know that people "see" what they think are blue headlights, when in fact its only "flickering blue" because of the above mentioned cutoff line/colorband.

shame on these greedy manufacturers for taking your money and giving u sub par light output
Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
no, u shouldnt match ur fogs with ANY HID drop in kits......They have zero h10 or h11 HID bulbs with glare shields, and u will end up blinding others....been there with 2 kits b4 I knew better.

headlights (ours) are not designed for HIDs and will create a lot of glare/scatter because HID works on an arc, not a filament.

if u want HID without blinding others, check out theretrofitsource.com and buy some real projectors (also, those ebay/spyder projectors suck).

u can then retrofit ur lights to be HID projectors and have the best lighting available.

as for color.........

they are based off of Kelvin.......... 4300K is white.

6000K+ are purely for asthetics and provide LESS light, and the blue is actually more irritation to the eye (everyones).

high end cars NEVER come from the factory with blue lights.....they are philips 4300K. the blue u see is only a cutoff line/colorband and is an artifact of the projector, NOT the bulbs.

look at a stage light, they use projection, and the corona is...............blue.
Sorry I don't know anything about lights haha but do they make the retrofit lights for fog lights? or should i just leave them alone?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
There is also a 25% coupon for TRS for TW members. you just have to wait until 10 people order then they will ship out.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry I don't know anything about lights haha but do they make the retrofit lights for fog lights? or should i just leave them alone?
thats why I was easy on ya and offered the reasoning..............sometimes ppl come in here and say "dont be a ricer" or "ur just gunna blind people, do us a favor and stay off the roads"....atleast I let ya know why its an issue, and u can google it if u want.

I think TRS (theretrofitsource.com) does have a new fog projector (I know they used to have the "blazer" lineup.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #10

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
also may help

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...fog-retro.html

Anthony does great work
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #11

one more question. If i get these retrofit kits will i have to buy a high and low beam for them? or will they come with both or are both of them the same light like the stock tacoma headlights?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
LSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLSC15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Logan
LSC15's Tacoma Gallery
I got 10000k and I love them!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
one more question. If i get these retrofit kits will i have to buy a high and low beam for them? or will they come with both or are both of them the same light like the stock tacoma headlights?
No, you go with what are called Bi-xenon. They operate as highs and lows. Here are the two easiest kits to install.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC15 View Post
Looks and functionality are two different things here. If you want a nice blue or purple color then go over 6000k if you want. But I still recommend 4000k-5000k for the brightest output.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #14

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
No, you go with what are called Bi-xenon. They operate as highs and lows. Here are the two easiest kits to install.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Looks and functionality are two different things here. If you want a nice blue or purple color then go over 6000k if you want. But I still recommend 4000k-5000k for the brightest output.
8000K+ belong on show cars............its bad enough HIDs are illegal federally in our trucks, but atleast a proper retrofit with WHITE bulbs will get less attention from cops (thats just an easy ticket IF the officer wants to go there).

OP, thank you for taking our suggestions so well......Feel free to PM with any questions if I dont chime in here.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Wow... that went well. I don't usually meander into a pnp lighting upgrade thread that has a positive end result
Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
Rascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
Rascal737's Tacoma Gallery
OP...these guys know what they're talking about. look for the HID thread in the lighting section and it will explaing everything you need to know about HID's and how they work...lots of links.

Make the educated decision to do a proper HID conversion with projectors and not the drop PNP kind.

I would go with the 4300K or 5000K for color
Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC15 View Post
Any tickets yet??