Notices

1st gen blinker into foglight mod?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
highcotton2003 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Britt
highcotton2003's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen blinker into foglight mod?

ok so ive looked at all the posts about turning your blinkers into foglights and in turn making your corners the blinkers..... but i have yet to see where anybody has accualy done a write up of where they did this but hooked them up where the "foglights" come on when the low beam headlights are on and go off when they are switched to high beams. has anyone done this? how complex is it and what is needed to switch them.

I want the corner lights to be the new blinkers and use the old blinker spot for the foglights but i only want them to come on with the low beam headlights. so with that in mind does anyone have any info on how this should be done?
Old 06-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

Firefighter:
come on people somebody has to have done this or wanted to do it............
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.....

If you're installing fog lights where the blinkers are.... you're not going to use the same wiring that the blinkers had. You'll just wire them up completely separate from the blinker wiring. Any foglight or driving light write-up should help. You just need to tap into your headlight wires.....

Have you thought about installing the fog lights to come on anytime?
That's what I did with my fog lights (husband actually installed them).... I can use them anytime. The only issue.... is every year, I have to pull the fuse so there's no power to the fog lights so I can pass my yearly inspection.

You could start here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...og-lights.html

About 10 years ago, I did the blinker conversion and I wanted to put fog lights in the blinker spot. I wasn't worried so much about the wiring, but there wasn't any good/sturdy places on my 96 to actually mount the lights to - so I never did it. I installed some PIAA's on a front bumper instead. lol
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

Firefighter:
I wanted to take the blinkers and move them to the corner by the headlight and use the empty blinker housings as foglights. installing HIDs to match the headlights or something. so I just need to fish the wires up to the corners and tap into the lo beam wire ( whichever that one is) and add a foglight HID kit?
Old 06-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton2003 View Post
I wanted to take the blinkers and move them to the corner by the headlight and use the empty blinker housings as foglights. installing HIDs to match the headlights or something. so I just need to fish the wires up to the corners and tap into the lo beam wire ( whichever that one is) and add a foglight HID kit?
Whatever HID kit you buy, just follow the directions. From what I've read, HID's are more complex. The kit should have everything you need. Each kit will be different. I don't have experience with them.

You could also research the kit online for instructions/ the actual company website.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #6

Firefighter:
so that's really all I have to do is move the wires and patch in the hid kit to the battery and the low beam power wire?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton2003 View Post
so that's really all I have to do is move the wires and patch in the hid kit to the battery and the low beam power wire?
Look at the kit and read the instructions
Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
hid is too hot for the plastic container and lens cover, been there, melted it....the space is way too small, heat builds up like a MOFO in the OEM's, best to have metal and glass...one of the Hid projector retro cans and some careful modding/mounting, should be good to go...
Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I am building several of something similar to what you are talking about, but mine are somewhat different. I am using clear housings where the turn signals are now installed (in the front bumper) and have them set up where you can use them as a driving light, with a bright white light, but when you turn on your turn signals, the driving light on that side turns off, and it blinks yellow. Is that similar to what you are wanting? I am almost done with my first set.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #10

Firefighter:
can I use them as fog lights like this ? this is what im looking to do make the blinkers into fog lights when the headlights are on low beam
Old 06-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
hid is too hot for the plastic container and lens cover, been there, melted it....the space is way too small, heat builds up like a MOFO in the OEM's, best to have metal and glass...one of the Hid projector retro cans and some careful modding/mounting, should be good to go...
Not true, Ive had HID's in my fogs for a year, no problems...

Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
As for the fog light mod.. pretty simple, you just have to dig a little.

I'm doing this all from memory, so feel free to ask questions. Pop the fog light housing out and the (new to be) turnsignals. Tap into the hot wire from the new turn signals and drop the extension hot wire down the the fogs. Tap into the fog light hot wire and pull the fextension hot wire up to the new turn signals.

Hook up the hot wire from the (new to be) turn signals to fogs and the hot from the fogs to the turn signals.

Here are the other links to the mod.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-how-pics.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...light-mod.html
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #13

Firefighter:
im gonna y to figure out how tho make them come on with just the low beams this weekend. cant be but so hard to do.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
adrenalinejunkie is on a distinguished road
Name: seth
adrenalinejunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I am building several of something similar to what you are talking about, but mine are somewhat different. I am using clear housings where the turn signals are now installed (in the front bumper) and have them set up where you can use them as a driving light, with a bright white light, but when you turn on your turn signals, the driving light on that side turns off, and it blinks yellow. Is that similar to what you are wanting? I am almost done with my first set.
This is what i would like to do, do you have a writeup?
Thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
theblindchicken is on a distinguished road

Name: Christian
theblindchicken's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureseth View Post
This is what i would like to do, do you have a writeup?
Thanks
Use an 1157 Switchback led bulb. You'll need an 1157 socket (dual contact bayonet style) and wire it in place of the parking light wedge bulb. Remember to add in the 3rd wire for the turn signals.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #16
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
why would u want the fogs to turn off when the brights are on? seems like pointless extra work since the regular fog light mod is so easy to do