Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Auxiliary Lighting

Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
mmbsmith is on a distinguished road
mmbsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Auxiliary Lighting

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for additional lighting for my 2013 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road. We spend part of the summer in northern Canada and good lighting is vital. I'm not necessarily looking for the latest and greatest, just solid performance and illumination to avoid the moose that seem to enjoy wandering around the edge of the road at the most inopportune times. It's amazing how 2,000 pound animals can materialize out of thin air!
Ease of installation and good lighting that won't break the bank that the truck already broke.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The stock headlights are pretty good. I'm assuming you primarily want more high beam for deserted roads?

I have not added any front facing auxiliary lights on the Tacoma, but have owned a few sets on previous vehicles.

The best bang-for-the-buck was a set of Pro Comp 130 driving lights. They are 130watt halogens, 8 inch diameter lights. The beam gives a good distance, while also being somewhat wider than a normal driving light. More like a "eurobeam" style that a bigger ($$$) manufacturer like Hella would put out. It's been awhile but I paid about $40 per light and built my own harness, though you could buy one pre made.

The Hella 4000 in Eurobeam also gets good reviews both online and from members on this board.

The popular Hella 500s, IMHO are not enough of an upgrade to help with seeing large animals that will destroy your truck/cause injury if you hit them.

The issue on a Tacoma is where to mount them. There are plenty of light bar threads on here for you to search for and check out. I am leaning towards the KC bolt on light bar that bolts where the stock tow hooks are.

Good luck.

Edit: Hate to post up a link to another site, but couldn't locate a good pic of what I am talking about on here.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37925

Those are the Pro Comps I am referring to, and I believe that's the KC lightbar.

Search also for N Fab lightbars, those are the cheapest, I think.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
mmbsmith is on a distinguished road
mmbsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Joe, I will definitely look into them.