Notices

Wiring fog lights to factory switch?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
devenob is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Sheriffs Deputy
Name: Deven
devenob's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring fog lights to factory switch?

Ok before you bash me about using he search function, I did and couldn't find anyone that wants to do what I want to. Hence me making this thread lol.

Now what I want to do is put a set of lights probably Hellas behind my grill. I was wondering if it is possible to use the same switch as my factory fog lights? But leave the factory fog lights hooked up? So use one switch the factory switch to control two sets of lights? (The already wired factory fog lights plus the after market lights) I figure I probably could but want to see what you guys have to say
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
BlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: James
BlueSteel's Tacoma Gallery
If your Hella wiring is going to be separate from the factory fogs it shouldn't be a problem because you would just tie in one wire coming from the kit relay to the factory fog light switch. If you are wanting to piggy back off the factory wiring for the Hella install, I wouldn't recommend it just because the factory gauge wiring size. Any kind of off-road light will most likely exceed the factory wiring amp/current load for the factory gauge wiring. The factory fog lights alone are rated between 35W-55W and somewhere around 10-15amps current draw. If you add another set of lights (say Hella 500s 55w) that will double your current to 20-30amps for the factory wiring and you will most likely start frying your wiring.

In the diagram you will just connect the Load/ green wire (or whatever color) to the factory fog switch load side. Also, I like to tie in all my grounds to one location or run it directly to the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring fog lights to factory switch?-wiring-diagram.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...rights-2g.html

I did what you want and also to turn on another pair of spot lights when you hit the brights... This how to is written explaining the install of the spot when hitting the brights...

The only difference is the "signal" of the fog lights (you can see where i took the signal from the fog relay)... Hope i explained myself...
Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
devenob's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I will run seperate wires, thanks guys! Will get pics up soon hopefully!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I used seperate wiring harnesses for my fogs and Hellas hooked to factory switches. Truck had no fogs or wiring when I got it. Was simple. Used ebay fog harness for both sets hooked to factory switches. Fogs are 35w 5000k HID and Hellas converted to 35w 3000k HID.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
devenob's Tacoma Gallery
lights~!
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring fog lights to factory switch?-grill-lights-night-.jpg   Wiring fog lights to factory switch?-grill-lights.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Well done sir!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
crooks420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
crooks420's Tacoma Gallery
I want to do this to my 2012!!!!!!!!

Did you tie in the aux. lights at the factory fog switch? Can you explain/show exactly how you did this?

Jesse
Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
GreaseMonkeyNerd is on a distinguished road
Name: Danny
GreaseMonkeyNerd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I used seperate wiring harnesses for my fogs and Hellas hooked to factory switches. Truck had no fogs or wiring when I got it. Was simple. Used ebay fog harness for both sets hooked to factory switches. Fogs are 35w 5000k HID and Hellas converted to 35w 3000k HID.

Can you explain more on how you did this? my truck doesn't have fog and i also want to put fog with factory switch
Old 06-11-2014, 03:27 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Sure, got factory switches on ebay and one off here. Got pigtail wires for them from dealer. Wired them into harnesses and parking light wiring for illumination. Harnesses had relays and fuses already and used add-a-circuit to pull power from 2 different fuses in the panel by left knee. Used switched pwr for both so no way to leave them on when key is out. Somewhere in here there is a thread with the wiring diagram for the switch. The diagram above is good for everything except oem switch has extra wire to splice into parking lights for switch illumination. It illuminates with dash lights but does not light up any differently when lights are on. There is a different oem switch that does IIRC. Not sure what vehicle it is from tho - Tundra, 4runner or FJ maybe. Only 1 wire for each set of lights needs to come thru firewall. Just snuck them in thru exisiting grommet on driver's side. Not much else to it.