1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring fog lights to factory switch?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by devenob, May 23, 2013.

1. May 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    devenob

devenob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Deven
    MA
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 TRD SPRT DCLB
    TRD Exhuast tip Various vinyl inlays Nerf bars TRD PRO Grill De badged TRD Pro tail lights
    Ok before you bash me about using he search function, I did and couldn't find anyone that wants to do what I want to. Hence me making this thread lol.

Now what I want to do is put a set of lights probably Hellas behind my grill. I was wondering if it is possible to use the same switch as my factory fog lights? But leave the factory fog lights hooked up? So use one switch the factory switch to control two sets of lights? (The already wired factory fog lights plus the after market lights) I figure I probably could but want to see what you guys have to say

2. May 23, 2013 at 1:37 AM
    BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Doublecab TRD Sport Debadged
    Camburg 4" Spindles, Icon CB 2.5 adjustables front and rear, Total Chaos Upper/Lower CAs, Alcan 5" Rear Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, 5" SS Brakelines, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" KMC Monsters, Grill Craft Black Mesh Upper, Predator Running Boards, All Pro Rear Bumper and Hitch, Wet Okole Covers, Toyota Roof Rack, Limo Tint, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Mats, Redline Hood Struts, Red Top Odyssey battery, BDF Light Bar, Foglight anytime Mod, Lo Pro QT Truxedo Tonneau cover, Rocky Mount Bike Pegs.
    If your Hella wiring is going to be separate from the factory fogs it shouldn't be a problem because you would just tie in one wire coming from the kit relay to the factory fog light switch. If you are wanting to piggy back off the factory wiring for the Hella install, I wouldn't recommend it just because the factory gauge wiring size. Any kind of off-road light will most likely exceed the factory wiring amp/current load for the factory gauge wiring. The factory fog lights alone are rated between 35W-55W and somewhere around 10-15amps current draw. If you add another set of lights (say Hella 500s 55w) that will double your current to 20-30amps for the factory wiring and you will most likely start frying your wiring.

In the diagram you will just connect the Load/ green wire (or whatever color) to the factory fog switch load side. Also, I like to tie in all my grounds to one location or run it directly to the battery.

wiring diagram.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  3. May 23, 2013 at 1:56 AM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/253374-how-extra-lights-brights-2g.html

I did what you want and also to turn on another pair of spot lights when you hit the brights... This how to is written explaining the install of the spot when hitting the brights...

The only difference is the "signal" of the fog lights (you can see where i took the signal from the fog relay)... Hope i explained myself...

4. May 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM
    devenob

Member:
    First Name:
    Deven
    MA
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 TRD SPRT DCLB
    TRD Exhuast tip Various vinyl inlays Nerf bars TRD PRO Grill De badged TRD Pro tail lights
    Ya I will run seperate wires, thanks guys! Will get pics up soon hopefully!

5. May 23, 2013 at 3:31 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I used seperate wiring harnesses for my fogs and Hellas hooked to factory switches. Truck had no fogs or wiring when I got it. Was simple. Used ebay fog harness for both sets hooked to factory switches. Fogs are 35w 5000k HID and Hellas converted to 35w 3000k HID.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    lo2hi likes this.
  6. Jun 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    devenob

Member:
    First Name:
    Deven
    MA
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 TRD SPRT DCLB
    lights~!

grill with lights night .jpg
    grill with lights.jpg

lo2hi likes this.
  7. Jun 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Chepo

Chepo Tankoma!

Member:
    Mexico City
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport
    Lots...
    Nice! Well done sir!

8. Jul 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    crooks420

crooks420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    05 AC Prerunner SR5, 12 DC LB 4x4, 70 FJ40
    I want to do this to my 2012!!!!!!!!

Did you tie in the aux. lights at the factory fog switch? Can you explain/show exactly how you did this?

Jesse

9. Jun 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    GreaseMonkeyNerd

GreaseMonkeyNerd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dien
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock Tacoma TRD Off Road

Can you explain more on how you did this? my truck doesn't have fog and i also want to put fog with factory switch

10. Jun 11, 2014 at 3:27 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Sure, got factory switches on ebay and one off here. Got pigtail wires for them from dealer. Wired them into harnesses and parking light wiring for illumination. Harnesses had relays and fuses already and used add-a-circuit to pull power from 2 different fuses in the panel by left knee. Used switched pwr for both so no way to leave them on when key is out. Somewhere in here there is a thread with the wiring diagram for the switch. The diagram above is good for everything except oem switch has extra wire to splice into parking lights for switch illumination. It illuminates with dash lights but does not light up any differently when lights are on. There is a different oem switch that does IIRC. Not sure what vehicle it is from tho - Tundra, 4runner or FJ maybe. Only 1 wire for each set of lights needs to come thru firewall. Just snuck them in thru exisiting grommet on driver's side. Not much else to it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top