Notices

Switches and locations

Old 05-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
FFJamison is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Salty Tailboard
Name: Humps
FFJamison's Tacoma Gallery
Switches and locations

Need help placing switches in my '12 Taco. The only 2 slots I have open are by the USB port in the lower center dash area.
Has anyone mounted switches there? How complicated was it to get it installed there, ie what all did you have to remove to access that area?
I wanted to use the OTRATTW switches but they measure too big.
Any and all suggestions welcome. I have been searching through the "light" forum here and havent found insight.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
I make switches that mount in those blanks, theres a thread in the for sale somewhere. It's fairly easy if you have just the slightest skill (or patience). Those blanks pop off and its very easy to snake a wire to come out under the steering wheel.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
lockwire24 is on a distinguished road

Navy: GSM2
Name: Mark
lockwire24's Tacoma Gallery
I just made a plate and put mine under where you want to put it. I'm using a block for six.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I ran my wires on Sunday. I have 2 switches to mount. My neighbor, who I call McGyver, worked on my blanks while I was wiring. I found some round micro switches at Auto Zone that will fit the blanks. It would have been easier to just mount the KC supplied switches. The flat round micros take a hole that is like 49/64" or just a hair bigger than 3/4". You have to be careful because the face of the plate might be an inch wide. I will post some pics when I get to it. I ran my wires from the cab through a hole above the master cylinder. I took the rubber plug out and drilled a hole in it. I used some vaseline on the wires and it worked great. I moved the Atrac switch to the far right. The left side of the hole is keyed different so you have to trim the top ridge off it. You can push the switch in but will it is hell to get it back out without the trimming. I ran a 24" wire tie in to the switch hole down along the floor and pulled the wires back after attching to the tie. I left enough slack in the wires to then lift them up and tuck them in behind the black plastic HVAC cover that is just above the gas pedal. I tried to pull the wires in above the HVAC cover but trust when I say it is a lot easier to do it the way I did.