Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Maxliner USA Fog Light Install

Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
RSMick is on a distinguished road
Name: Mick
RSMick's Tacoma Gallery
I hope these last 2 posts answer the questions. If not, please let me know and I'll answer the best an amateur like me can.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
RSMick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Fidaso View Post
Hi there. I have purchased the same fog lights from Maxliner, after install, mine does not work. I followed the instruction packet that came with it as well as your write up. One thing that it does not describe is the ground wire from the inside the cabin. I just tapped it on a metal with a screw. The fog lights switch is on but the lights are not. Any input will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Stew, If the switch lights, but the lights don't I wonder if your relay under the hood is solidly grounded. What little troubleshooting electrical knowledge I have, says that your switch is probably OK and the problem might be the relay connection. Make sure your connections between harnesses are in tight too.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Stew Fidaso is on a distinguished road

Stew Fidaso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMick View Post
If you run the hot lead (red wire) independent of the ignition you run the chance of forgetting they're on when shutting off the truck, then coming back to a dead battery. I tapped into a connection in the fuse box under the dash that requires the ignition and at least the parking lights be on.

Check this photo for the connection. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...all-fog-17.jpg

Add an in-line fuse if you tap directly into the fuse box, like I did. Use the lower contact like in the picture. The upper contact isn't hot.
Hi. Thank you very much for your help. I did retrace and check the install and I followed every single step of the instructions insert and your write up. I guess I just have a defective set. I am including the photos I took. I totally appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Maxliner USA Fog Light Install-photo-1.jpg   Maxliner USA Fog Light Install-photo-2.jpg   Maxliner USA Fog Light Install-photo-4.jpg   Maxliner USA Fog Light Install-photo-5.jpg   Maxliner USA Fog Light Install-photo-6.jpg  

Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
Stew Fidaso is on a distinguished road

Stew Fidaso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Stew, If the switch lights, but the lights don't I wonder if your relay under the hood is solidly grounded. What little troubleshooting electrical knowledge I have, says that your switch is probably OK and the problem might be the relay connection. Make sure your connections between harnesses are in tight too.
Thank you very much Mick for your help! I got it! You are absolutely right. I was helped by Dustin and Jason from FN Wheels. I showed them my set up and Dustin noticed that the black wire was not properly grounded. Jason grabbed a bolt from his car and screwed it in on another part of the metal piece and it work! Wohooo! I could not be any happier. Thanks to Jason, Dustin and you Mick!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
tacodoots is on a distinguished road
tacodoots's Tacoma Gallery
hi guys,
does your foglights turn off when you turn on your high beam? i just recently installed this foglight in my truck and my problem is it just stays on even if you turn your headlight to HIGH.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #26
bueller has a spectacular aura aboutbueller has a spectacular aura aboutbueller has a spectacular aura about

bueller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacodoots View Post
hi guys,
does your foglights turn off when you turn on your high beam? i just recently installed this foglight in my truck and my problem is it just stays on even if you turn your headlight to HIGH.
And that's a bad thing? Lots of people with OEM fogs modify the wiring so they will stay on with the high beams, myself included.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
i think the bad thing there is that the lights were not focused properly, so when i turn the high beam on, there is somewhat three layers of bright,dark and bright zone in front of you. Hi Mick, does this happen to you also when you installed this foglight? did you have to focus the beams?and did your install stay on with the high beams on? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
RSMick's Tacoma Gallery
My fog lights stay on with the high beams. If you don't want that to be the case, you'd have to find a different circuit in the fuse box to tie in to. Just by luck I'm guessing, my fog lights didn't need re-aiming after installation.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
Hi Mick- did you change your lightbulb already or are you still using that bulb that came with kit?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #30
RSMick's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still using the bulbs that came with the kit.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #31
Sluggerbug is on a distinguished road
Sluggerbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Remove the little drop down compartment that's in the lower dash, to the left of the steering wheel. Reach behind the dash and remove one the of the "dummy" switch hole covers. (I have a base 4WD Regular Cab so I had an available spot in the lower set of buttons/switches.) Using the switch wiring harness, connect the new switch (note the orientation) to the harness and push into the dash until it clicks in.

Attach the main wiring harness that you fished through the firewall to the switch wiring harness.

Looking at the fuse box under the dash that was behind the little drop down that you removed, you'll see there is an open spot in the middle of the top row. This is LIVE and works only when the lights and ignition are turned on so this is a perfect power source. Strip the insulation of the end of the red wire from the switch wiring harness and insert into here using a blade type connector.
This is wrong the fog lights do not come on until the high beams go off so hooking it up to the open slot is not the correct way!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #32
RSMick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggerbug View Post
This is wrong the fog lights do not come on until the high beams go off so hooking it up to the open slot is not the correct way!
All I can tell you is that I hooked it into the slot I said and they work as long as the parking lights and/or headlights are on. They stay on regardless of whether the headlights are high beam or low beam. Your truck may be different, but mine works exactly as I described.