Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Floorboard lights on with dome light?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Floorboard lights on with dome light?

Hey guys, I know there's a few threads on this, but none have what I need specifically. Can someone give me (with a decent amount of detail) a description on what I have to do to hook up these lights up in my floorboard to come on with the dome light? I heard there is a wire near the A pillar I can tap, because I DO NOT want to mess with my headliner.

I need some good descriptions here, what wires do I need, exactly what goes where? Can I just tap into the dome light with the positive and ground it out and be done?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
I'm planning on this exact same thing. Except my lights are white. I was planning on doing it this weekend but didn't know exactly how.... until I found this. Its not exactly what you or I are looking for, but its pretty close. The description of how he wired everything starts in post #7.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
kinda similar, but here is my post on another thread
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Did you ever tackle this project? I did mine this weekend and I'm really happy with how mine turned out. I hooked mine up directly to the dome light. It was fairly straightforward. I just pushed a wire from the opening in the headliner towards the pillar between the front and rear door, and then pulled that wire down the inside of the pillar. So whenever the dome light comes on, these lights come on also. I thought about putting a switch in to control them independently, but I don't know how to do that. Maybe I'll research it and do it in the future. I also replaced the bulb in the dome light with LEDs.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Did you ever tackle this project? I did mine this weekend and I'm really happy with how mine turned out. I hooked mine up directly to the dome light. It was fairly straightforward. I just pushed a wire from the opening in the headliner towards the pillar between the front and rear door, and then pulled that wire down the inside of the pillar. So whenever the dome light comes on, these lights come on also. I thought about putting a switch in to control them independently, but I don't know how to do that. Maybe I'll research it and do it in the future. I also replaced the bulb in the dome light with LEDs.

Nope, I still have my LEDs, I just don't know where to start.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of leds on the driver and passenger floor board wired right to the dimmer switch. So pretty much every time my lights are on, my floorboards are too.

The lights I have aren't super bright, but enough to give it a nice look.

If you go with something too bright It might distract you while driving.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
I have a set of leds on the driver and passenger floor board wired right to the dimmer switch. So pretty much every time my lights are on, my floorboards are too.

The lights I have aren't super bright, but enough to give it a nice look.

If you go with something too bright It might distract you while driving.
I didn't think about the dimmer switch! Is it drawing power from it too?
Old 12-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I didn't think about the dimmer switch! Is it drawing power from it too?
Yup There's 12v there
Old 12-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

Hey. Sorry, I didn't see your post until today. If you want the floorboard lights to come on with the dome light, is super easy to wire them directly to the dome light. You don't have to take the headliner off either. Here's what I did:

First, I removed the fuse for the dome light so I wouldn't blow it.

I removed the plastic cover for the dome light, then the bulb (so I wouldn't break it), then the plastic housing. At this point, it was hanging by the wires out of the headliner.

Then I removed the B pillar plastic panels. I ran some wire up the B pillar and pushed it above the headliner to the hole where the dome light was hanging.

Then I used a multimeter to test which side of the light bulb holder was positive and negative.

I then soldered the wires to the backside of the light bulb holder. I used red wire for the positive and black wire for the negative.

I put the fuse back in and tested the ends of the new wires, which were down by the drivers door. They worked, so I took the fuse back out and started running the wires to the drivers' and passenger footwells. Once I had the wires ran I started soldering the LEDs to the wires and wrapping the connections in electrical tape.

Then just put it all back together.

If you have any questions let me know. I can take some pictures or give more details if you'd like.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #11

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if it'd be the same on a first gen. Can't imagine they'd be too different.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #12

I'm sure it's pretty similar. I'm trying to imagine my dad's old first gen and it seems like the process would be about the same.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #13

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind for now, guys. The lights I got turned out to be pretty sketch. I've never seen such a low gauge wire.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
Tlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant futureTlook has a brilliant future

Name: Trey
Tlook's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Nevermind for now, guys. The lights I got turned out to be pretty sketch. I've never seen such a low gauge wire.
i thought the same thing about mine but mine draw 0.81 amps or something like that.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #15

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlook View Post
i thought the same thing about mine but mine draw 0.81 amps or something like that.
I just didn't like the look of it. The wire inside was way too small to even work with when I stripped it.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #16

These are the lights I used. They're slightly more work than the type you previously bought though. You have to be comfortable soldering if you use these.

Products Discussed in this Thread