Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Wiring New LEDs Off Existing Circuit

Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring New LEDs Off Existing Circuit

So, I have a this guy wired as a backup light.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/LED-Work-Lamp

And I want to add these to the same circuit so the come on at the same time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181048698291...84.m1497.l2649

The existing light says 1.25A current draw, no info on the strip that I found. So, can I wire these together without melting, and if so, in series or parallel?
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Those ribbon LED lights generally don't have an overly high draw. I can't see having a problem wiring them onto the same circuit as long as the base circuitry can handle the additional load (I know you said you have the other light wired as a backup light but you didn't say if it taps off of the OEM circuitry or if you added a separate circuit). Just split the power supply before your current backup light to power the ribbon LEDs, make sure you use good grounds for everything and you're all set. The switch for your current backup light would then control the ribbon as well.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Those ribbon LED lights generally don't have an overly high draw. I can't see having a problem wiring them onto the same circuit as long as the base circuitry can handle the additional load (I know you said you have the other light wired as a backup light but you didn't say if it taps off of the OEM circuitry or if you added a separate circuit). Just split the power supply before your current backup light to power the ribbon LEDs, make sure you use good grounds for everything and you're all set. The switch for your current backup light would then control the ribbon as well.
Sweet, yes the original circuit is well wired, fused, realyed, grounded back to the fuse box etc. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
How do you like that light as a backup light?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
How do you like that light as a backup light?
The light itself it quite bright, where I have it is not optimal for backup though. This was my previous setup, and the LED one is mounted below the bumper to the left of the hitch. Ideally it would be higher up for better light projection, but I cant figure out how to mount it up high without a rack.