Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

What is the right way to mount the bar?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
What is the right way to mount the bar?

I have the Westin light bar, which is adjustable. Right now I have it out as far as it can go.

Is the correct way to pull it in as close to the bumpers as it can go? Out as far as it can go? Or is it just personal taste?

I'm guessing if it was further in that it would provide me some protection from an accident versus hitting the bumper, although I know that's not the primary reason for having it..
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
I have the Westin light bar, which is adjustable. Right now I have it out as far as it can go.

Is the correct way to pull it in as close to the bumpers as it can go? Out as far as it can go? Or is it just personal taste?

I'm guessing if it was further in that it would provide me some protection from an accident versus hitting the bumper, although I know that's not the primary reason for having it..
Pull it off and throw it away. It will not provide any protection, only amplify the damage caused.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post
Pull it off and throw it away. It will not provide any protection, only amplify the damage caused.
x2 (on the protection part). Light bars are only damage multipliers in any accident that's more than just a scuff. Placement is personal taste and dependent on the lights you are running. Some of the HID's with the built in ballasts are very deep and would require the light bar to be stepped out a bit.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2 (on the protection part). Light bars are only damage multipliers in any accident that's more than just a scuff. Placement is personal taste and dependent on the lights you are running. Some of the HID's with the built in ballasts are very deep and would require the light bar to be stepped out a bit.
He didn't want to ask us in the BS thread. My feelings are definitely hurt.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He didn't want to ask us in the BS thread. My feelings are definitely hurt.
He should know, any thread any of us creates just becomes an extension of the BS thread anyways
Old 06-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
He should know, any thread any of us creates just becomes an extension of the BS thread anyways
Exactly, more places to look for fun chitchat haha..

I could pull it back in terms of having room to do so but it sounds like I'm better off with it all the way out unless I can pull it as far back as it slides without hitting the bumper.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Whatsup guys
Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Exactly, more places to look for fun chitchat haha..

I could pull it back in terms of having room to do so but it sounds like I'm better off with it all the way out unless I can pull it as far back as it slides without hitting the bumper.
You do want at least a little clearance between the lights and the bumper. Those PIAA's you're running will get HOT so you don't want them to touch the plastic bumper cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Whatsup guys
And the BS thread continues to grow
Old 06-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #9

You should sell it to someone before you rear end another car and wish you never installed it.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should sell it to someone before you rear end another car and wish you never installed it.
Hey, easy on the light bars
Old 06-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Mount lights behind grill
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #13

Hey, you get rid of that stupid light bar yet