Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

1st Gen HID Projector Question

Old 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen HID Projector Question

I've searched for about an hour and can't find an answer to exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

I'm planning on getting Slim's H4 - BIXENON DUAL FILAMENT kit, which comes with bulbs, ballasts, the wiring harness, and and mounting hardware.

I'm not wanting to blind people and I want to get 100% out of the HID's, so I'm wanting to get projectors. More specifically, the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors. I've seen a write-up on here where a guy mounted some on his 2000, but I'm wanting to know a few things:

1. Will any HID light fit any projector? More specifically, if I get a 2001 Tacoma compatible HID bulb (9003/HB2), will it fit in any projector, or are projectors model specific, as well?

2. If I have to cut into the back of my headlight, how hard is it to get the projector aimed where it needs to be?

3. Is there something special about Slim's HID's, as opposed to the cheaper DDM kit?

4. Should I just say ''screw projectors'' and throw the HID's in my OEM headlights?

I'm sure at least one of these questions have been asked on here before, but I couldn't find an answer, so I figured I'd ask.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Answer to #4........ I wouldnt suggest it

#3...... ddm has shit customer service

#2....... should be adjustable with factory set screws once u have the projector properly aimed.

#1...... diff projector models use dif bulbs
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Answer to #4........ I wouldnt suggest it

#3...... ddm has shit customer service

#2....... should be adjustable with factory set screws once u have the projector properly aimed.

#1...... diff projector models use dif bulbs
thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
I like bright things.
thunderone will become famous soon enough

thunderone's Tacoma Gallery
Check the How To: thread I just made yesterday in this section. It will pertain to your 2001 headlights.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I'd recommend going with the whole kit from theretrofitsource.com they'll sell you everything you need for a full retrofit

answers...
1. the 9003/H2 bulb will fit into almost all projectors.

2. the projector should sit in the housing straight, then you can aim the entire housing like normal.

3. not sure on slims but the cheaper HID kits are made from substandard components and may degrade quality or fail over time.

4. DO NOT JUST THROW THE HID LIGHTS INTO YOUR REFLECTOR HOUSINGS. you will blind every other driver, especially being a lifted truck. it's just a stupid, dick move.

check out the "1st gens with HID lights" and what you've probably already read Konaborne's "1st gen HID projector walkthrough"
Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderone View Post
Check the How To: thread I just made yesterday in this section. It will pertain to your 2001 headlights.
thanks. rep'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
I'd recommend going with the whole kit from theretrofitsource.com they'll sell you everything you need for a full retrofit

answers...
1. the 9003/H2 bulb will fit into almost all projectors.

2. the projector should sit in the housing straight, then you can aim the entire housing like normal.

3. not sure on slims but the cheaper HID kits are made from substandard components and may degrade quality or fail over time.

4. DO NOT JUST THROW THE HID LIGHTS INTO YOUR REFLECTOR HOUSINGS. you will blind every other driver, especially being a lifted truck. it's just a stupid, dick move.

check out the "1st gens with HID lights" and what you've probably already read Konaborne's "1st gen HID projector walkthrough"
Thanks. I called retrofit and they helped out a lot. I just didn't want to order a bunch of stuff and it not fit together. Also, I don't wanna blind ppl b/c that pisses me off, too.

Rep'd