Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

OEM Fog Light Switch and Hella 500's

Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Sua Sponte is on a distinguished road

Army: Active Duty
Sua Sponte's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Fog Light Switch and Hella 500's

First time poster here, so forgive me if this has been covered somewhere already. I looked through some of the threads but didn't see any using this switch. I recently purchased some Hella 500 Driving lights to be mounted on top of my bull bar (picture below). I have a 2013 TRD Off-Road and all the blanks to the left of the steering wheel are taken up, so I wanted to find a switch that I could use for one of the blanks below the AC controls. I was able to pick up an OEM switch from the dealer (Part # 00016-32230-02) that is an exact fit for those slots for about 25 bucks.

I want to wire these up so that they run independently from the fog lights, etc. Is there a tutorial on how to access/remove the center console to install the switch, as well as a general wiring diagram that would suit what I want to do? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Did the Hella 500's not come with some basic installation instructions? I got some PIAA driving lights behind my grill and have an independent switch for them so I can turn them on and off whenever I want and they also turn off with the truck in case I forget to flip them to the off position so they dont kill my batteries. There was a write-up somewhere I looked at but its been about 4 years since I installed them. Look up on the top of the page where it has cheap/free mods and you might be able to find something on there.

Edit: Just found this but not sure if its what you are looking for.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...et-lights.html
Old 06-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the post. Yeah, there's instructions for them...not the most detailed. I am thinking I may need to mod the harness it came with to accept the OEM switch since the two connectors are different. Anyone know of a tutorial out there that would cover all of this...I.E. removing the console to get access to the blanks and harness, etc. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
Thanks for the post. Yeah, there's instructions for them...not the most detailed. I am thinking I may need to mod the harness it came with to accept the OEM switch since the two connectors are different. Anyone know of a tutorial out there that would cover all of this...I.E. removing the console to get access to the blanks and harness, etc. Thanks.
Yeah I got an aftermarket switch that fit in the slots right of the steering wheel and I had to cut off the original switch that came with the PIAA's. It wasnt to hard to do but my truck is a 2006 and you are installing in a different area.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

No one with any experience mounting a switch in the center below the AC controls?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
No one with any experience mounting a switch in the center below the AC controls?
Bump. Anyone?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #7
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dennis
denmen's Tacoma Gallery
instructions and (even better) tips/tricks from firsthand personal experience

Quote:
Bump. Anyone?

Hey, I'm looking to add lights to my bull bar also.

Yes, if anyone has any details on wire dressing/routing and any tips on accessing the panel blanks, etc... that would be greatly appreciated!!!!

THANKS!!!

oh wait, this one looks really good (quite extensive, need more time to read more closely!)

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...et-lights.html
Old 07-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

OEM Fog Light Switch and Hella 500's-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374978022.145139.jpg

Finally got around to finishing this. Not the best picture but oh well. I ended up ordering the tundrapart switch and used one of the blanks below the A/C controls. It was kinda a pain routing the wiring through the grommet in the firewall behind the front central console, but all worked out well. I also ended up buying a different harness from Pilot because the one included with the Hellas I just could not get to work.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks I was looking for the same thing with the switches. My switch banks are filled up also. Thanks for posting the part number.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

No problem, and yep, if your switches to the left of the steering wheel looks like this then the only alternative is to go below the AC knobs.

OEM Fog Light Switch and Hella 500's-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375024697.982689.jpg
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah they are filled already with daystar switches!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
RaymanTRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Ray
RaymanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
How did u winded up getting behind that panel?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymanTRD View Post
How did u winded up getting behind that panel?
Through the hole in the firewall that the main electrical harness goes through on the drivers side. Then, behind the center console.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
ToxicPelican has a spectacular aura aboutToxicPelican has a spectacular aura aboutToxicPelican has a spectacular aura about
ToxicPelican's Tacoma Gallery
How did you wire up the back of the OEM switch?

Like you my bank to the left is all full, and I wanted to put an OEM switch that fit under the AC controls, so I ordered that same switch. Only thing is, looking at the back of the switch, its just 5 pins recessed waaaaay back into the switch? How the heck did you hook that up?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
ToxicPelican has a spectacular aura aboutToxicPelican has a spectacular aura aboutToxicPelican has a spectacular aura about
This is what the back of mine looks like

Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #17

You need the connector that goes into the back of the switch and ties into the wire harness for the fogs.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
Where were you able to find that connector or harness? I know what the part number for it seems to be, but no one wants to sell just the harness, they all want to sell the entire fog light kit.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
Actually don't worry about it, I'm going to go in a different direction for switches. Thanks though!

*If anyone in the San Diego wants to play with this switch, it's yours just pm me, not worth it to return it
Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for part #

And Pelican, if noone local takes you up on your offer, I'd be happy to paypal money for postage if you care to toss it in the mail.

OP, do you have a part number for the other switch you put in on the right?
I have the same switch configurations as you, and this would be perfect.