Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Problems with TRS led halo's??

Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
Problems with TRS led halo's??

Just completed my retro from TRS last night. Before I installed ANYTHING I function checked all components. Everything worked great. After I installed everything last night, about 6 hours of labor... I turned on my running lights, with the halos wired into them to view the beauty. Both halos illuminated perfect and very bright! So I turned everything off, put my front end back together and checked everything: low beams, high beams, running lights, turn signals... everything still worked great. When my girlfriend got home I was excited to show them off to her. So i turned on the running lights (halos illuminated) and a few seconds later, the drivers side halo flickered and then went out.... VERY DISAPPOINTING!!! So I check all my connections and even connected the halos directly to the battery to rule out any power supply issues, or faulty connections. After a bit of wiggling, the halo turned back on but is now SIGNIFICANTLY dimmer than the other one. Has anybody run into this issue before? I'm really hoping its just that little cylindrical unit the wires from the halo go into before coming out as connecting wires. I do not want to have to order new halo, New shroud, and do the entire headlight housing process all over again. Please help!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Initially

Currently
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

Bump
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check voltage at the connection to the Halo?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

Not with a volt meter. But I did touch the hot wire directly to the battery and got the same thing.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
CanadianSmithy is on a distinguished road
Name: Claude
CanadianSmithy's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no electrician, but did you check the resistance of one compared to the other?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #7

I didn't check anything with a meter. But before I installed them, I tested both by touching the hot wire directly to the battery. It wasn't until after the install and a couple min of run time that it flickered, went out, and now is about half as bright as the other
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #8

bump
Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno, maybe a phone call to the retrofit source? looks like half the leds went down, either a resister or bad wire...either way, probably going to have to take apart..
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
I dunno, maybe a phone call to the retrofit source? looks like half the leds went down, either a resister or bad wire...either way, probably going to have to take apart..
God I hope you're wrong. I called them today. Told me to switch the resisters around and see if that's the problem.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
I have had problems with aftermarket halo's, always seem a bit of a biatch...

Thus my projectors will be without halo when I do the mod later this summer...

bummer, very doubtful 'swapping the resisters' will help at all...

how did you call them already today, it is 7:30 AM East coast as I post, everywhere else in the country is still in bed????
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #12

I called them earlier during the day. Around 1000 am PST.