Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Head lights auto off

Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
geochurchi is on a distinguished road
geochurchi's Tacoma Gallery
Head lights auto off

Hi All,I have '12 Taco according to the OM the headlights should shut off automatically when the key is in the loc position and the driver side door is opened, this dose not happen, has anyone else noticed this?

GC
Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I've noticed is the lights will not automatically shut off & the door window will still have power (for about 30 seconds) IF you open the door BEFORE shutting the truck off.

If you shut off the truck & then open the door, the lights shut off and power windows are powerless.

This is what I've noticed.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
One thing I've noticed is the lights will not automatically shut off & the door window will still have power (for about 30 seconds) IF you open the door BEFORE shutting the truck off.

If you shut off the truck & then open the door, the lights shut off and power windows are powerless.

This is what I've noticed.
^^^ This is how it's supposed to work OP. Lights auto shut off when you turn the truck off, then open the door.

Matt
Old 07-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Right, so if you want your headlights to automatically shut off; Turn truck off, THEN open the door. They should shut off as soon as you open the driver's door (not sure about passenger doors).
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Headlights auto off

Problem solved,I recently installed marker lights and wired them into the headlight circuit the new lights are backfeeding the headlight circuit bypassing the auto off feature,I removed the fuse for the new lights and all is well.Does anyone have any idea where that timer might be located?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Probably not a timer as it keys on the door. More likely the door switch is causing the headlight relay to drop out when door opens. Don't know where it is though.

You might be able to hear it as the lights are turned on and off and on and locate the relay by sound.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
The problem seems to have solved itself, at least for now but I will try to locate that relay by playing with that door switch.

Thanks