1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED H4 bulb conversion kit?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Porkchop228, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jul 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    Porkchop228

Porkchop228 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Biloxi,MS
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4X4 9" LIFT W/35'S
    6" Fabtech and 3" body lift with gap guards, 315-75-16 BFGoodrich A/T, Westin Ultimate Bull Bar, LED Duallies, UWS black lo-pro toolbox, black nerf bars, K&N intake, Sportsman Camo Covers front and rear in Mossy Oak Break-up, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    You know, I actually just made a post on something about this, except for only using them as fog lights instead. I would stray away from using them as headlights. Anyways, with that kind of money you would be spending for them you are better off doing a retrofit of the real HID's.

You could always buy them and test them though if you really want to and post up results :D

3. Jul 6, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    Porkchop228

Member:
    Biloxi,MS
    Vehicle:
    6" Fabtech and 3" body lift with gap guards, 315-75-16 BFGoodrich A/T, Westin Ultimate Bull Bar, LED Duallies, UWS black lo-pro toolbox, black nerf bars, K&N intake, Sportsman Camo Covers front and rear in Mossy Oak Break-up, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    I am thinking about giving them a shot. The retrofit conversion is a lot harder to do than this would be, considering if I did them myself. If I were to buy a set they would be much more expensive and I'm not sure they would be worth the high price tag. They do look great but are they really worth the money?

4. Jul 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
  5. Jul 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    If you do get these kind of lights, do let me know how they work. I am interested in some as well, but have no idea whether they would work well enough.

6. Jul 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    Porkchop228

Member:
    Biloxi,MS
    Vehicle:
    Those kits don't have a hi and low beam though, I am hesitant on them though because all of the other kits with just the bulbs like you found on Amazon aren't very bright at all. If you look closely at the one I found on Ebay they have a fan on the base of the bulb to keep them cool. I haven't seen another kit that has those or has a high and low beam.

7. Jul 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    You do not need a fan to cool down LED's. They run cool enough as it is. As long as you get one that has an aluminum heat sink base to it, that's pretty much all you need to run them.

Damn you are right about high/low beam. I didn't even notice that.

IDK about brightness but I just found an interesting video of some guy and his charger, it looked pretty damn bright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpswYM6-IKk

8. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    Porkchop228

Member:
    Biloxi,MS
    Vehicle:
    Nice setup on that Challenger but I wonder what kind of light it puts out at longer distances. Let me clarify my previous statement when I said they aren't bright I meant that they might be bright close up but they don't seem to project the light as far as a halogen or HID's do. I guess depending on the reflector used and the lumens the led's are they could possibly project the same distance as the halogens or HID's. I have searched some of the other Youtube videos and looked at some of the comparison videos of the LED's to the halogens and HID's and the LED's don't seem to project out as far as the others. But then again it depends on the bulb lumens and type of LED's too. I wish I could find someone who has that setup already and get their opinion on it. I see that a couple of the Ebay kits have sold and they gave the seller positive feedback for them, so maybe it is a good kit.

9. Jul 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    There was someone on here that had a full led headlight assembly replacement. It wasn't just a led drop in light, it was a full headlight with LEDs integrated.....gonna try find it

But it cost him $600 IIRC

10. Jul 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I've searched a lot on these forums and I have not found anything about a full LED retrofit in the headlights at all.

11. Jul 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not true.

26 watts is 26 watts... It's cooler than a 60w lamp, but it's still plenty hot.
    Put your hand on a 25w light bulb and tell me how "cool enough" it is.

Add to that, heat is a semiconductor's worst enemy. That 26w set from Amazon is not going to last long without a heat sink.

Do you own a Surefire or Fenix tactical flashlight? Check the instructions... there are warnings about extended running on higher output settings and against touching the housing when running on higher settings.

12. Jul 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's still pretty new technology. It will become more common and quality and prices will get more favorable as newer electric and hybrid vehicles drive production.

Right now, as always, "you get what you pay for" and the cheap shit coming out of China is not going to work out well, just as the cheap HID kits have issues.

13. Jul 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I have owned several streamlight flashlights before (mainly stingers), but not a fenix nor surefire. That probably explains why the people in the reviews would mention that the bulbs were nice until they burnt out in short order.

I can't see the sets which have a fan built into them lasting very long running as long as headlights do. The fan portion would more then likely burn out in short order on these made in china sets if I was to venture a guess.

14. Jul 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The fan itself bugs me in an underhood environment, I think it's a band-aid for consumer-level cost considerations, but those units do have a heat sink that extends outside of the housing where ambient air can cool it.

It would be interesting to see how Audi and other automakers are handling it.

15. Jul 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    I have done a lot of searching about these jewels and one in particular interested me. It was on the BMW forums if I remember correctly. The guy mentioned that one of them blew in fairly short order and he had it hooked up all correctly.

The problem you have to consider too is the continuous duty of the fan while the headlights are on, and not only that, the under hood temps do not help either..

16. Jul 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya, the technology just isn't quite ready for prime time in a package with a cost suitable for aftermarket. Much like HID systems were in 2004... all you could get was an OEM system that you'd have to custom fit.
    The plug-in kits came a couple of years later, were regulated off the market, then came back.

Now, 10 years later, we have some nice, servicable projector retrofits available.

17. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    They do need work.. but they definitely are the future.. I know that much. They more then likely will phase out HID's in due time.

18. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Absolutely. The sooner the better. Some quality LED projectors would be awesome.

19. Jul 9, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I had looked a few months back at LED headlight conversions, and as usual for me with lighting on a vehicle, I like to check local laws and such. I am not sure on each state, and since we have 50 of them, I didn't take the time to look. On thing that popped up fast on an internet search was California. I have found that several other states also support this in that changing your headlights from what is stock can be considered illegal. This includes changing from factory halogen to the much better HID lights.
    So yes, you can see better, and they are much longer lasting, but MAY be considered illegal. Yes, some newer cars are coming from the factory with LED headlights, but those have been approved by SAE and DOT. If the lights you are looking at installing do NOT say SAE or DOT approved, I would reconsider using them. Of course it is not my vehicle but I just want to suggest anyone looking at doing a headlight conversion to check with the local laws before doing so. Some states it won't be an issue, but as we all know California tends to be pretty strict on vehicles.

20. Jul 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    JWaldz

JWaldz It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    I'm a bit skeptical about how 1800 lumens is going to throw light as far as an HID or even a halogen bulb on hi. Just seems like it's not enough lumens. That video portrayed the light against a garage door less than 20 ft away. Sure it will look bright, but how's it look on the open road. I don't think the technology is there yet as far as adding it as an aftermarket upgrade but I do hope LED's replace HID's soon.

To Top