1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring LED lightbar to high beams

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by chipnoreo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Jul 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo [OP] Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    I am trying to wire my lightbar so that i have the option to have it on at any time, off, or come on with the high beams.

As i understand it, i need a SPDT switch to acheive this. One on position will be wired directly to a power source (with a fuse in line). This will allow me to have the light on at any time, regardless of if the truck is on. The other on position will be tied into the high beams. As i understand it, i just need to tap the high beam wire with one coming from the switch. I am assuming that i will need a fuse in this line as well?

I have been researching this and a lot of people keep talking about tying into a relay somewhere? Do i need one to acheive what i am looking for?

Am i overlooking anything in this setup?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. Jul 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    This.

Just go with a basic switch install for now. Less headache. As you get better with wiring over time then you can upgrade to a more complicated setup.

3. Jul 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    chipnoreo

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Right forgot to mention it will be grounded

I guess i didnt make myself clear. The SPDT switch will be in the cab. It will be on/off/on. One on will be hooked to the battery. The other wired into highbeams.

4. Jul 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    A buddy of mine has the setup your describing with an on/off/on switch so I know it's possible. I've wondered how it's done as well but he doesn't know either b/c it came with his rig already setup. Wouldn't mind wiring my led light bar like this. I'd maybe shoot OTRATTW an email or post a question on their facebook wall. They'll probably know.

5. Jul 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    dand

dand You can't see me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SE VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 MBM TRD Offroad MT
    1st stage commencing
    Sub'd :D

6. Jul 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    First off, if you want to have a on/off/on option where you can have the light bar turn on by battery power, be off completely, or be on by the highbeam switch, you can't use a SPST switch. you will need a DPDT switch, which has an on/off/on switch position setting. A SPST switch is basically an "on/off" switch, which while it can be adapted to something SIMILAR to what you want, it would only allow your lightbar to be on by battery control, or on by highbeam control, and NOT turned off completely.

This can be done reasonably easy, but I would recommend doing this with a relay. Simply because it is always safest to do it this way. You will hook up your switch just as you had said, with one input coming from a fused battery source, and the other input coming from the highbeam signal from the switch. You then take the OUTPUT signal from the switch and connect it to the control side of a relay (typically called "terminal 86"). Then ground the correct terminal of the relay (typically called "terminal 85") to a good ground. This will energize the relay dependent on if you have the in-cab control switch on the battery side, or the highbeam side. Then you will have the higher current fused battery wire connect to the relay power side (typically called "terminal 30") and the output side (typically called "terminal 87") will go directly to the lightbar power. Then ground the lightbar ground wire to the chassis. Once this is done, you will have your "on/off/on" option that you are looking for.

7. Jul 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    chipnoreo

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Ah sorry, I dont know why I kept putting SPST... i meant SPDT.... Would that work?

Basically, one of the on positions on the switch would be wired like this and the other like this I believe the diagrams on these threads illustrate what you are saying.

8. Jul 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    If you use a SPDT switch you can do it. If you want some help figuring the SPST and other switches like that, this is a good source of information. You do have to be careful in making sure it has the proper switch positions where it has an on/off/on positional setting.

Your links took me to two different threads, but not the specific posts you were wanting to mention. When I get a chance tomorrow I will draw up a diagram to do what you are wanting it to do, if you would like.

9. Jul 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I know I would appreciate the diagram. I already have the standard off/on, but want to run a front and rear lightbar like above. What is that switch you're talking about? And which wire is the one to tap for the high beams?

Thanks.

10. Jul 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    chipnoreo

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    A diagram would be awesome if you have the time! Stuff like this makes the most sense to me in a visual presentation.

11. Jul 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Pugga has this exact setup with the on/off/on switch, and i think he had a diagram

12. Jul 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
  13. Jul 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Make sure you're using a relay. Steal power for the low current side of your relay, from the high beam power wire. Then when you flick on your high beams, your LED bar relay powers up and that comes on too. The low side of a relay runs such low current it won't affect your high beam circuit.

14. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:

Mentioned already. lol. Good to reemphasize though.

The diagram from the link does show the proper way to wire the switch itself. I was very busy at the shop today, so I will do my best tomorrow to get you an entire wiring layout.

15. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Quick and dirty using relays:
    [​IMG]

16. Jul 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Bah I didn't read, I just write ;)

17. Jul 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    On the SPDT switch, the key is that the center connection goes to your LED light bar or the relay that powers the lightbar. The connection at the top of the relay receives power from Accessories power, the bottom connection goes to you power source that is on when the hi-beams are on.

18. Jul 24, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That must be really quick and very, very dirty :D No need for 2 relays and it is generally not a good idea to run your power for the accessory through the switch. Many switches aren't meant to handle that kind of power and you want to keep the high power in the engine bay, not running it back and forth through the firewall. While your diagram would technically work if everything was properly rated for the power the light bar requires, I wouldn't go that route, sorry.

My ears were burning! :spy:

^^ From that thread, look at this post.
    contura_VJDAD66B_4f451cda3fbf7513ba2444e20b4c19f6c335f398.jpg
    This is a DPDT switch, like I used but it can be done with a SPDT also (basically the single pole, double throw switch will only have one side of this diagram and the switch lights will likely be connected internally a little different). For a SPDT, look at numbers 1, 2 and 3. These switches and the diagrams you find online for them assume you're bringing power in from one spot and then it will be outgoing in the 2 on positions. You will be doing the opposite.
    On the diagram above:
    Pin 1 would be fused power from the battery (I'll come back to this because you don't want the light bar drawing full power through the switch)
    Pin3 3 would be your high beam tap (this does not need to be fused since the high beam circuit is already fuse protected)
    Pin 2 is outgoing to your relay

On your relay:
    85 - Ground
    86 - comes from Pin 2 on the SPDT switch (this is what activates the relay to turn on)
    30 - fused battery power. What I would do is take power from the battery, run it through a fuse, then split it. One wire goes to the switch like mentioned above, the other wire goes to pin 30 on the relay. That prevents the light bar from pulling full power through the switch.
    87 - outgoing power to the light bar.

At the light bar, the wire coming from 87 is your power in so all you should have left to do is ground the light bar itself.

Obviously, depending on the switch you end up using, you might need to tweak what I wrote above but hopefully you get the idea. Once you decide on a switch, post up the wiring diagram for the internals of that switch and I can tell you what needs to be connected where.

19. Jul 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    JWaldz

JWaldz It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    Is what you stated above for a SPDT switch with independently wired lights? I would prefer only the upper light to come on when upper position is pressed and vise versa for the other side.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  20. Jul 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If the lights are wired independently, then you will need to do something a little different. The diagram I posted was for a DPDT. Do you have the diagram for the SPDT with independently wired lights? I haven't wired one before but what you're saying could be accomplished probably with a couple jumper wires.

Products Discussed in

To Top