Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Shifter light out, bad fuse possibly?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
ibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ibuprofelin's Tacoma Gallery
Shifter light out, bad fuse possibly?

I am in the middle of changing all of my console lights to LEDs and bought a #74 bulb to replace the shifter light. Got it today, it was a perfect fit, turn on the car and no light pops up. Figure it's the polarity so I turn it around and no dice. I tried the original bulb and it didn't work either. I think back a little bit and realize that maybe the light never worked at all.

I'm thinking it's a bad fuse maybe? But I have absolutely no idea how to check it. Can anyone help here? I didn't hear any audible noises when I turned on the car after putting in the light, so I'm not too sure. Would anyone be able to help, possibly with pictures?

Thanks in advice!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
ibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shedibuprofelin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I checked all the interior fuses and they're all fine. Maybe I just got sent a bad bulb? Suppose I'll go to autozone and see if they have a bulb I can test.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
I hooked the LED up to the car battery with some spare wires, the bulb actually does work. AutoLumination says it might have to do with the low amp draw of the LED... What would I do to make this work? :/
Old 08-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd class petty officer
Name: chris
csjumper2003's Tacoma Gallery
2 things depending on the led. It might get a good connection in the light socket so take a small tip screwdriver and being the leads in a little to contact, or the led just need s to be turns 180 as its probably single polarity.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuprofelin View Post
I checked all the interior fuses and they're all fine. Maybe I just got sent a bad bulb? Suppose I'll go to autozone and see if they have a bulb I can test.

take the bulb out of ur corner lights.........u know the ones, its a 194a

I think the shift column uses same bulb....

Save u a trip to vatozone.

this way u can quickly diagnose it as a bad LED or fuse.............then proceed as needed

Old 08-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjumper2003 View Post
2 things depending on the led. It might get a good connection in the light socket so take a small tip screwdriver and being the leads in a little to contact, or the led just need s to be turns 180 as its probably single polarity.
He said he flipped the LED already, so shouldn't be that, and seeing as he tried the original bulb and no dice.

OP did you check EVERY interior fuse? Even the fuses that are behind the pull-out storage bin bottom left of the steering wheel?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
take the bulb out of ur corner lights.........u know the ones, its a 194a

I think the shift column uses same bulb....

Save u a trip to vatozone.

this way u can quickly diagnose it as a bad LED or fuse.............then proceed as needed

Its not the same bulb. its like half the size.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Jumper's Leds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
He said he flipped the LED already, so shouldn't be that, and seeing as he tried the original bulb and no dice.

OP did you check EVERY interior fuse? Even the fuses that are behind the pull-out storage bin bottom left of the steering wheel?

Grab a 4 dollar test light and check all fuses. Also check that your getting power to the socket. Draw shouldnt be an issue. Mine that I stock have no issue like that so im guessing theirs shouldnt either.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
damn, sorry bout that...good catch Chris
Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
I checked all the fuses in the interior use box, they were ok. Is there also an in line fuse that I would have to check? That's gonna require taking apart all of the center console, so if anyone knows before I do that, that would be wonderful. The socket isn't working with either bulb. I checked the continuity of the socket but there was none. Then again it's very small so I'm not entirely sure I had good contact with it.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Jumper's Leds

If no power, and you checked the interior its probably the dome fuse under the hood. Its labeled dome. Check all those fuses for shits and giggles. There is no in line fuse. No power to dash, does your dash lights come on or all your switches on the dash.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Yea, all the lights on the dash are functional. The climate control lights and clock/radio also work, for what it's worth. I'll open up the hood and see what's going on in there.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
Brockhamre is on a distinguished road
Brockhamre's Tacoma Gallery
Did u ever figure this out?