1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP: HID Retrofit–Rotational Alignment

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by chadtoks, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Aug 13, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    chadtoks

chadtoks [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD 4WD
    To anyone with experience in mini H1 or D2S retro's, I need help. I'd like to start by saying that i'm a complete idiot for not test-firing before resealing and mounting....bear with me, this is still a learning process....

Getting back to the topic, after retrofitting my '98 with mini H1's I came to the startling discovery that my rotational alignment, among other things, was completely outta wack. Driver side appears rotated slightly CW while the passenger side appears rotated heavily CCW. In addition, I'm noticing some 'bowing' in the driver side cutoff, to the right of the step-up.

I naively assumed that the H4 adapter plate would guarantee rotational alignment but boy was I wrong. My question to all of you is this: has anyone experienced similar H1 or D2S rotational/bowing issues during the installation process?

The following are a few photos to illustrate what I've previously described.

Low beam cutoff
    IMG_5399_a042fec05e0a34cf3753a87275946702d5a8ae13.jpg

Driver side cutoff (notice slight CW rotation + bowing to the right of step-up)IMG_5410_d4497a2bd1db4804e5962fb26f772b0bab9c7bb9.jpg

Passenger side cutoff (notice the heavy CCW rotation)
    IMG_5419_95ee2b34f870f79efc83156511146f6ff13491a1.jpg

If you have any thoughts, insight, or personal experience please share. Thanks in advance,
    Chad

2. Aug 13, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You'll get some of the bowing regardless of alignment, it's just what projectors do. You will need to adjust the rotational alignment on the passenger side though. There should be a little bit of 'play' where the supplied alignment tabs fit into the headlight bowl. Sometimes that play is enough but I have heard stories where people have actually had to shave the alignment tab to allow them to rotate the projector to the correct orientation. Pop the lenses, rotate the projector, and dry fit it on the truck without the lens on. Once your satisfied with how they line up, put the lens back on and install the lights. It's a little bit of a guess and check process.

3. Aug 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    Well, thanks for posting these pictures - I don't feel so bad about mine now.

Yep, I did the same thing. My passenger side is rotated a little bit. It could be worse.

[​IMG]

Oh wait...it is worse in a different way. I can't rotate them at all.

[​IMG]

So I just have to live with it not being perfect. The only recourse I really have is to throw more money at it and see if TRS has a single H1 projector and buy another Pilot housing.

I feel for you...hopefully you can get some rotational adjustment to fix the issue.

4. Aug 15, 2013 at 4:08 AM
    chadtoks

chadtoks [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD 4WD
    Thanks for the insight Pugga. I'll definitely take a closer look at my adapter plates. I just hate how much of a hassle it is to take apart the front end to get to the housings....then again, I suppose it's a small price to pay for cutoffs that actually LINE UP! My wacky cutoffs were tolerable—at best—when I first did the retro. Now, they just drive me nutz :annoyed:....

stikle, props for tackling a retro on those sealed beams! Checked out your build page—I dig the look! As for your alignment, you did a heck of a lot better than me, considering you had to cut. Don't you hate how just a few clicks of maladjustment at the projector leads to INCHES at the cutoff....

5. Aug 15, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    stikle

stikle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    The Sovereign State of Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 LX Xtracab 4x4 V6 3.4L
    Eh, see my Build Thread sig link. Too many mods to list.
    Yeah...I had no idea I specifically needed to pay attention to getting them exactly level in the housings. I now have a love/hate relationship with JB Weld. :D

6. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Not knowing how the actual headlight assembly is attached to the front of the 98 Tacoma you might be able to add a washer under the mounting tab and shim it up to help with the rotation.

Products Discussed in

To Top