Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How To: Flyzeye LED interior lighting Installation 2013 DCLB

Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
MrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrStumpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
MrStumpy's Tacoma Gallery
How To: Flyzeye LED interior lighting Installation 2013 DCLB

On Monday July 29th I picked up my new “ 13” DCLB. I joined this forum on July 21st prior to my purchase just to see what Taco drivers were doing with their rides. I am not new to Taco’s. I have owned 1 1990 extended cab 4x4, 1 DCSB TRD Off Road, 4 4runners and now my current DC. In trolling the forum I saw some custom interior lighting that I really liked. Flyzeye Design looked like a good start for some OEM looking interior lighting. At the time my truck was just a week old and I really did not want to try and pull parts of my dash out without a good how to photo layout or some experienced help. I went back to the Flyzeye Design website and saw Dennis LaFreniere contact information. I did not know until about 3 days after I called him that he was the President and CEO of the company. Because I live about an hour and a half away from Virginia Beach I decided to call him and see if there was anyone down there that could install them. He said sure and that he could. We talked for a while and we setup for me to go down on the 10th for him to do the install. What you will see here is the step by step install into a 2013 DCLB. There were no real problems during the install but Mr. LaFreniere did note that the gauge of the wires had decreased from the thumbwheel dimmer but the color coding of the wires stayed the same between the 12and 13 model years.

This write-up that follows is a step by step install “how to” for my model truck with the install being done by the engineer that designed, fabricated and builds these lights. It is extremely rare to come across someone that has a dream, draws that dream on paper, and finally builds that dream. It is even rarer to meet that person after he/she has gotten his product to final production. My background is a Systems Engineer(Computer/server infrastructure). Over the years I have met many engineers, nuclear,electrical, mechanical and civil. Only 2 that I met have gotten their idea to the mock up stage,only one (Mr. LaFreniere) got his to production. I applaud Dennis and his sons for making a product that is affordable and extremely functional.

Thank you Dennis for a quality product and for taking your personal time to do a beautiful installation in my new Taco. I hope my write up does members here at TW some good.

Steve

Old 08-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! Will help when I install my v2w that should be here Tuesday!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Mar322 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Mar322's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the same exact color combo in my 2013 DC

Your post was very helpful

Thanks

Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
flyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM2 5"/54 Mount Captain, Small Arms Instructor, Ship's VBSS-Sweep Team Member & Lead Climber, Armory
Name: Darren
flyzeye designs's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStumpy View Post
On Monday July 29th I picked up my new “ 13” DCLB. I joined this forum on July 21st prior to my purchase just to see what Taco drivers were doing with their rides. I am not new to Taco’s. I have owned 1 1990 extended cab 4x4, 1 DCSB TRD Off Road, 4 4runners and now my current DC. In trolling the forum I saw some custom interior lighting that I really liked. Flyzeye Design looked like a good start for some OEM looking interior lighting. At the time my truck was just a week old and I really did not want to try and pull parts of my dash out without a good how to photo layout or some experienced help. I went back to the Flyzeye Design website and saw Dennis LaFreniere contact information. I did not know until about 3 days after I called him that he was the President and CEO of the company. Because I live about an hour and a half away from Virginia Beach I decided to call him and see if there was anyone down there that could install them. He said sure and that he could. We talked for a while and we setup for me to go down on the 10th for him to do the install. What you will see here is the step by step install into a 2013 DCLB. There were no real problems during the install but Mr. LaFreniere did note that the gauge of the wires had decreased from the thumbwheel dimmer but the color coding of the wires stayed the same between the 12and 13 model years.

This write-up that follows is a step by step install “how to” for my model truck with the install being done by the engineer that designed, fabricated and builds these lights. It is extremely rare to come across someone that has a dream, draws that dream on paper, and finally builds that dream. It is even rarer to meet that person after he/she has gotten his product to final production. My background is a Systems Engineer(Computer/server infrastructure). Over the years I have met many engineers, nuclear,electrical, mechanical and civil. Only 2 that I met have gotten their idea to the mock up stage,only one (Mr. LaFreniere) got his to production. I applaud Dennis and his sons for making a product that is affordable and extremely functional.

Thank you Dennis for a quality product and for taking your personal time to do a beautiful installation in my new Taco. I hope my write up does members here at TW some good.

Steve

Nicely done!!! Now, linked directly from the Installation page on our website!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
flyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyzeye designs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM2 5"/54 Mount Captain, Small Arms Instructor, Ship's VBSS-Sweep Team Member & Lead Climber, Armory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naholo808 View Post
Nice. This should be a sticky.
Agreed.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
wjpjr is on a distinguished road
Marines: Force Recon
Name: Bill
wjpjr's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't take it anymore ! Ordered mine this AM
Old 11-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
wjpjr is on a distinguished road
Marines: Force Recon
Name: Bill
wjpjr's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Guys for all the help ! Kinda funny I almost ordered the battery model V1 Becouse I didn't want to crack into the wiring on my new truck ! Glad I went with the V2 ! Very easy to install !!
You've seen them before but here's mine . Took about 15 mins .

Old 11-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjpjr View Post
Thanks Guys for all the help ! Kinda funny I almost ordered the battery model V1 Becouse I didn't want to crack into the wiring on my new truck ! Glad I went with the V2 ! Very easy to install !!
You've seen them before but here's mine . Took about 15 mins .

Glad to hear that you are happy with the V2W! Thanks for the support!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Any black friday specials coming up on these bad boys =)?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
Any black friday specials coming up on these bad boys =)?
We are discussing the idea... We might also do some "package deals" (V1 or V2W, (2) 3VPs, spare batteries, and a decal) for a limited time.

We'll see.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
I'm looking to get a v2!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
WeberSarge is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Kevin
WeberSarge's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine awhile back , love the design and function is great other than my dead fingers not working with the dimmer unless they are wet - never really use them anyway . Lighting is dead-on , great product .

BTW- how about designing something to light up the bed area / maybe an integrated lamp at the third brake light or similar ?
Sarge
Old 11-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberSarge View Post
Got mine awhile back , love the design and function is great other than my dead fingers not working with the dimmer unless they are wet - never really use them anyway . Lighting is dead-on , great product .

BTW- how about designing something to light up the bed area / maybe an integrated lamp at the third brake light or similar ?
Sarge

We have considered a bed lighting solution however, there are some really nice ones already out there. At this time, we're thinking it won't be cost effective.

Thanks for the input!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #17
cabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud of

Name: billy
cabo wabo's Tacoma Gallery
Installed mine last week after amp install.
Awesome, What a difference.
Thanks Flyzezye
Old 11-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo wabo View Post
Installed mine last week after amp install.
Awesome, What a difference.
Thanks Flyzezye

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 12-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
Just installed this today, took like an hour.
I had a hard time feeding the wires behind the HVAC Unit. So i adjusted to the right position and fed all the wire to the back before snapping the HVAC back in place, and taped the unit before installing the actual led light unit.....

Hopefully that will be fine