Notices

Spot Lights or Flood Lights

View Poll Results: SPOT OR FLOOD
Cree Spot Lights 10 58.82%
Cree Flood Lights 6 35.29%
Dont do it at all... moron... 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
Spot Lights or Flood Lights

Spot Lights or Flood Lights..

Ok so im looking at 2 10 Cree LED bars to put behind the grill.. But dont know if i want Spot or Flood... So asking for Input..
Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
HARD CAAAAAAARRRRRRRL
Papa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPapa Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
Papa Taco's Tacoma Gallery
interested in seeing the response, I am curious myself
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'll vote for the 1 option you don't have, one of each.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
My opinion - spot.

Now understand..LED light bars will never have the throw that traditional "Old School" off road lights have. They produce a much smoother & intense beam at closer ranges. The nice thing is they barely use any electricity and the bulbs never break or burn out. I spent a lot of time on South Texas Ranches and over the years on our ranch trucks we used. KC, Dick Cepek, Bosch, & Pro-Comp off road lights, so I like to think I have a fairly educated opinion.

I originally bought a Rigid 10" SR Combo (spot/Flood). I was not that impressed with it. My 35W HID headlights washed it out, you could barely tell it was on. I did some testing without the headlights on..where I blacked out the spot or flood LEDS with electrical tape. When I blacked out the flood, you could not even tell the difference. When I blacked out the spot lights, the flood lights were about as bright as my DRLs(I am not joking). I removed it and never even used it. I am sure a 30" or 50" produces a light more light, but I am not going to spend over $1000 for offroad lights. I try to buy American, but MY wallet comes first.

I did some research lately and I discovered just about everyone of these imitation Rigid Lights you see on Ebay with no brand, or some popular vendors on TW, or "Cree" or another brand like Hanma....is made by Totron. I found 30" SR SPOT light bar on ebay from http://stores.ebay.com/eg-motor?_rdc=1 for $180(free shipping that came in 3 days from china! & this store had a 99.6% rating)...I got it and I was really impressed. I doesn't throw as far as my Hella 700 HIDs, but it fills in everything very nice. And by itself, this Spot LED is more like a "Eurobean" or narrow flood light.

These LED lighst are real popular with the Razr & Can-Am ATV crowd...and many of their forums say They can see no difference in the beam from a Rigid to a Totron bar.

I have notice the Spot on these LED bars come in either 8 Degrees or 30 Degrees. I have the 8 Degree bar.
If I were you...go with the Spot or Combo.

If you end up buying a Totron bar off ebay, be careful. The first Gen do not have Cree Bulbs in them and are much cheaper, but look the same...be sure you are purchasing the second Gen with the "Cree" bulbs. There are some new 10W CREE bulb coming out, but those bars are slightly larger.

Good Luck with your project.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

18W 6 x 3watt EPISTAR LED's 1080Lumans 6inch light bar flood..... im looking at two slim ones to put behind the grill.. I was wondering is it worth $90/pair and how far and bright would this be.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would avoid epistar....that bulb type is inferior to CREE. As I mentioned above, the flood LEDs produced almost no light. Go for the Spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrick1215 View Post
18W 6 x 3watt EPISTAR LED's 1080Lumans 6inch light bar flood..... im looking at two slim ones to put behind the grill.. I was wondering is it worth $90/pair and how far and bright would this be.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

Gotcha.. Ill see what i can find with Cree.. Im looking for something that is like 6-8inch long and a set 2 of them for less than 150...
Old 09-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
ToxicPelican has a spectacular aura aboutToxicPelican has a spectacular aura aboutToxicPelican has a spectacular aura about
ToxicPelican's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for spot. It seems from the pictures I've seen of the led bars that even the spot lens ones (not counting RI and BD etc) have a lot of flood to them, more of a middle ground than a true spot. It would probably be like a middle ground. I looked around and didn't find any that were 2 6-10" with CREE for under $150. If you could go with a double row 6-10" with CREE, I've seen those around for sub $150.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #9

^^^^ Exactly what he said on the spots are basically flood.
This is where I got my LED light bar..they have a 99.6% rating and have a ton lights to offer. http://stores.ebay.com/eg-motor?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

35 HID headlights only

Headlights & 32" Totron LED (Spot)
Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Get both. Aim the floods out to the sides and maybe down for the real flood light effect
Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
One blessing I have found with LED lights is the " Fact " that animal eyes are illuminated at night . Deer , moose , dogs cats etc . Its easy to spot an animal with Led lights . If I had a choice , I would get spot and flood for this very purpose
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
One blessing I have found with LED lights is the " Fact " that animal eyes are illuminated at night . Deer , moose , dogs cats etc . Its easy to spot an animal with Led lights . If I had a choice , I would get spot and flood for this very purpose
This! I've saved my butt tons of times with my led light bar. I've seen deer eyes up to 1/4 of a mile in front of me and it's enough time to slow down. And OP, a ton of people, including me, have had great luck with Chris's light bars on here. Click the led light bar link in my sig and check them out.

EDIT: And get both beam patterns!