Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HIDS and light bar suggestions? I'm New to all of this

Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
13tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
13tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
HIDS and light bar suggestions? I'm New to all of this

Just recently bought my 13 taco a few months ago! I wanted to smoke out my lights then throw in some hids but not really sure what kind or anything to go with! I want some good quality but not spend anything crazy! Any ideas?
Also was thinking on getting a light bar for the lower grill! I heard rigid light bars are really good but pricey! Any other recommendations! I'm new to all of this lol
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: USMC
Name: Adrian
adriancast's Tacoma Gallery
I hear slimcubbby has some good HIDs and great customer service. I seen some Rigid Lights and that ish is expensive, but I hear nothing but good things.

Whatever you do don't order from this place: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...rder-here.html
Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriancast View Post
I hear slimcubbby has some good HIDs and great customer service. I seen some Rigid Lights and that ish is expensive, but I hear nothing but good things.

Whatever you do don't order from this place: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...rder-here.html
Thanks for the heads up! I have a bull bar on the front of mine so I was thinking about going with the 20in rigid bar in the lower grill in the opening or the bar
Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name01 View Post
The ridgids are a good route to go for the led bar.
That's what I've heard! I want the 20in looking like it will run me about $530
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13tacoma4x4 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I have a bull bar on the front of mine so I was thinking about going with the 20in rigid bar in the lower grill in the opening or the bar
Check out my page if you want to see my lower grille light bar.

Link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-my-build.html
Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
That's what I've heard! I want the 20in looking like it will run me about $530
I bought my 21 inch LED bar from Blitzpro for $160
Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriancast View Post
I bought my 21 inch LED bar from Blitzpro for $160
Good looking truck! That sounds pretty legit! Have u had good luck with your LED bar? No problems or anything
Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Good looking truck! That sounds pretty legit! Have u had good luck with your LED bar? No problems or anything
Zero problems.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Prepare your wallet.
I've got my '13 as well and.... well It's 8 months old and check the build page...

anyways
know this for LED's and Hid's/ incandescents- it might help guide you further for your light bar!

Led's can be bright A.F., and use low power, but just don't project very far. they're great up to 20 ish feet, but everything but maybe that 50" rigid just dont light up what's way out there. Great for rock lights, camp lighting etc.

HID's use very low power, and put out HUGE amounts of light, and because they are typically built in normal concave housings, they can throw a spot a good quarter mile down or light everything up with a flood. however, they come in HUGE ranges as far as quality/ price- 50$ to 600$ per light, cheap ones are built with cheap ballasts that blast your truck with RF interference which literally kill the engines on some Jeeps and make it near impossible to listen to any radio station. they also typically come in very cold light temperatures, putting out extremely bright, but white to blue light which is actually pretty hard on your eyes, and hard to see depth/ read the ground (everything turns black and white, lacks natural color)

Incandescents! (Halogens) Put out warm, natural light which is very easy on your eyes and show depth/ detail the best allowing you to really read the ground safely for hours, come in a wide range of housings (spot, 90 degree flood, 120 degree etc) allow you to meticulously fine tune your lighting designs, can throw the best spot light further than you can ever need! BUT take massive amounts of power when wired up- you could very easily pull 50+ amps with four lights which creates tricky logistical issues to avoid a wire fire/ dead battery.

Lots to take in, but it's experience you need to take the easy way. If you like to go fast, you'll need to see what's way out ahead and LED's just wont cut it to see that rut or rock @ 60 mph. On a budget & occasionally go fast? HID's. Go fast offroad regularly? go for some good quality halogens with the warmest kelvin light. like to rock crawl & set up camp in the dark? LED's.

Cheers!