Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

What do I need???

Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
What do I need???

Forgive me of this post is kinda choppy, I'm not 100% sure on the correct words to use haha

Today I was looking in my engine bay where my headlights are connected to the wiring harness (I have aftermarket headlights). I noticed that the tape the guy used (he said it was similar to dynamat) to hold all the wires together closely and conceal the headlight from condensation has came undone.

I was wondering what kind of product I would use to get everything back to where it should be?

PS: I live in Arizona so I'm thinking it should probably be something that can handle high heat. Between the summer weather and the heat from the engine it gets HOT in there.

Could I just use a high temperature duct tape ?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
any electrical tape should be sufficient, that area sees significant air flow, and most good e-tape (3M) can stand up to around 220F. Just remember to stretch it, as you wrap around whatever wiring, tight so it doesn't come undone. They have a weather/waterproof version (red), however I don't think it withstands heat as well as the black tape does
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTQCummins View Post
any electrical tape should be sufficient, that area sees significant air flow, and most good e-tape (3M) can stand up to around 220F. Just remember to stretch it, as you wrap around whatever wiring, tight so it doesn't come undone. They have a weather/waterproof version (red), however I don't think it withstands heat as well as the black tape does
Thank you for your help!

Are you just talking about any old electrical tape I can buy at a hardware store?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensecondchevelle View Post
Thank you for your help!

Are you just talking about any old electrical tape I can buy at a hardware store?
Some tapes are better than others, look for good name brands like 3M
Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Some tapes are better than others, look for good name brands like 3M

Alright, I will do that.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I would not use elect. tape. Elect. tape was never meant for permanent installation. You'll have a sticky mess in under a year. Use a good OEM tape that usually doesn't have an adhesive.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
I would not use elect. tape. Elect. tape was never meant for permanent installation. You'll have a sticky mess in under a year. Use a good OEM tape that usually doesn't have an adhesive.
Can you please post a link referencing the tape you are suggesting?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
a good weatherproof electrical tape, stretched to yield properly, will last for a very very long period of time, probably about as long as ebay headlights will looks good, for a quick fix, this will work. ultimately heatshrink is your best option, but putting it over existing wiring isn't always an achievable situation.

that being said, I am not disagreeing with "electrical tape is not a permanent installation" comment
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Electrical tape will do fine if you stretch the hell out of it and get a good hold on it. That area of the truck isn't going to see too much moisture and the heat from the engine won't completely melt it off.

Why did he use dynamat? That's not exactly a type of tape.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
Electrical tape will do fine if you stretch the hell out of it and get a good hold on it. That area of the truck isn't going to see too much moisture and the heat from the engine won't completely melt it off.

Why did he use dynamat? That's not exactly a type of tape.
He said it was "like dynamat," I'm not sure how close it was to being a sound deadener or not. It was about 1/8" thick and had a sticky tar look on the inside of it