1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Projector headlight morimoto plug

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by firetaco18, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    firetaco18

firetaco18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So i bought a set of projector headlights for my '13. Custom made with morimoto projectors. There is a plug coming out of the headlight assembly, I was told it is to switch the projector setting from low to high. What I am trying to figure out is were it plugs into. It is the same shape female plug that the HID ballast has. Is there some special setup I need to buy? Do I need to add another ballast setup to make the high low functional? :confused:

Any help is appreciated.

2. Sep 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You need the H4 relay harness.

On your stock system, the high beam switches to a different pin, which would shut the lamp off.
    The H4 relay harness has a pair of relays, a capacitor, and maybe a diode that holds the low beam pin hot while switching the 2nd connector for the solenoid.

The connector will come with the harness.

3. Sep 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    The plug you're talking about is the solenoid control.
    You should have a male plug coming out of the control box that says "projector" on it.

[​IMG]

Which connects to the female plug on the projector housing.

[​IMG]

Did you get the control box with the headlights?

[​IMG]

Some things may be slightly differtent since I'm 1st gen.
    Edit: also what Rich said :)

4. Sep 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Nathan, you can read my mind and put it in the form of pictures. The problem from what I see now is that I do not have the conveniently labeled 'projector' wire. I did not receive a control box when getting the lights, the ad said it took stock h4 bulbs which is false so I used the HID setup for the h4 bulbs that I had and just added D2S bulbs. So, correct me if I am wrong, but I am a wire short, do I need to buy a whole new setup?

Addendum: Could I buy a splitter... http://www.ebay.com/itm/230951149995?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    This looks like a simple solution

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Sep 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Used the HID setup for the H4... I assume you picked up an adapter for the D2S connection. If so, then all you need to do is take the other two wires that went to the solenoid on the original H4 kit and run them to the projector solenoid wires.

6. Sep 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Ok I will look at it tomorrow, I obviously looked over something cause I got a similar response from talking to someone else, I am not sure if there are other wires or I am just looking at everything upside down. Thanks.

7. Sep 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Was just looking at some diagrams and I noticed that there was an extra wire, supposedly for the high low setting but the problem is that it is not the same connection, the one from the h4 setup is a small rectangular male plug while the headlight female plug is like the one in the picture above. Is there a converter/adapter?

This is a similar wire that I have from the h4 setup with the small rectangular male plug as seen in the lower right, it appears that I need one that has two of the rounded plugs:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. Sep 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
  9. Sep 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That is basically what you need, but if the kit you have matches the image above, then the gender of the small connector is reversed.

Personally, I'd cut the square connectors off and solder/heat-shrink it.

10. Sep 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    Ok, I'll give a little overview of my components, and then you can compare them to the ones you have.

Here's the ballast with a 2-pin connector to the control box, and the orange twist bulb plug

[​IMG]

And here's the control box with 4 wire bundles coming out.
    One going to the battery with an in-line fuse, two going to the ballasts, and one going to the 3-pin stock headlight plug (seen in top right)

[​IMG]

Here's the product I think you need, based on the info you gave.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=14027

I'd give them a call and double check which harness you need, but it's probably the H4. As long as you have the retro'd headlights and ballasts, you should only be missing the harness

Let us know what you figure out :)

11. Sep 1, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That kit will work, but it sounds like he already has everything he needs except for the adapter to connect his HB power source to the solenoid.

12. Sep 2, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    As rich said, I have everything I need minus the adapter found in the ebay link, just trying to figure out what end is considered the 9006 and what end is the "HID" so I can tell them the right one that I need. What I need is the larger plug to be male while the smaller is female.

Thanks everyone for the help, I feel better knowing that I can give pieces of info and everyone else can fill in the blanks.

13. Sep 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/282370-moromito-d2s-projectors-halos-shrouds.html

-My ad never said it takes stock h4 bulbs.
    -If you would've explained to me that you were using your existing h4 kit to power the projectors, I may have been more help to you.
    -Glad you got it figured out and hope everything turns out great, PM me with questions and ill try to help best I can!

14. Sep 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    firetaco18

Member:

I was going off of this when reading the thread, at the time I didn't know the existence of D2S bulbs. No big deal, I just though I could use the h4 setup I had. You were very helpful and I appreciate the work you've done, again they came out awesome. I was just trying to figure out this setup and see what others had to say. I obviously misread it, and I was just trying to simplify explaining the situation by saying that I did not have the right HID kit. I apologize if this came out the wrong way.

I have D2S bulbs now with the proper wire to plug into the bulb. The mis-communication happened when there was the assumption that I just needed to plug in the "other" wire into the solenoid of the headlight. What I now understand is that I need to throw an adapter in to make that work.

Again, thank you Brandon for the hard work put into these lights and I apologize if I offended you. I will be sure to post pictures of the lights once I get a new D2S bulb (one came in the mail broken). should be up and running in the next week.

15. Sep 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    Oh don't worry man I wasn't offended, just wanted to clarify that! Rich and these other guys know more than I do about all of your options so I'm glad you got the help you needed! Make sure to send me some pics when you get them going, or if you need help with adjustments for aligning them. Should look great on the black taco!

16. Sep 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    They seem pretty aligned for having one working bulb right now, I'll keep you updated.

17. Sep 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The large plug (the one that connects to the projector solenoid) is the 9006 end.

18. Sep 3, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    I talked to the retrofit source and they told me that the 9006 end is the larger oval connector while the smaller end is the HID connection. Also, for what it counts, they told me that the gender is based on the pin not the connector. Therefore the larger end that I need is technically female while the smaller end I need is male. Thanks all, I ordered the right part from them. Case closed.

Products Discussed in

To Top