Notices

DIY: "Raptor" Style Lights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
m32 is on a distinguished road

Name: Edwin
m32's Tacoma Gallery
DIY: "Raptor" Style Lights

I just finished a small DIY on my '13 Taco and wanted to share the results. I always liked the lights on the raptor grill so I wanted to see what was the best way to get that look.

I looked all over the place (ebay, amazon, etc) for the cleanest (and cheapest) possible solution and found it at oznium.com. I purchased LEDs from them before to work on my porsche so I went back there.

After perusing around, I figure I give these a try

Ordered 4 and got to work last night.

I took a couple of pics during install but wasn't very detailed.

Lots of wires but easily concealed once you put back the outer skin

Testing

Mounted up

Total cost: $20 and 2-3 hours... done Comments/criticism welcomed

Edwin
Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sweet. How'd you wire them up?

Matt
Old 09-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

m32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Looks sweet. How'd you wire them up?

Matt
Matt,

Essentially got all the positive (Red) wires from the lights looped into one wire and tapped the driverside parking light (and looped all ground wires and grounded it above the battery)

Edwin
Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m32 View Post
Matt,

Essentially got all the positive (Red) wires from the lights looped into one wire and tapped the driverside parking light (and looped all ground wires and grounded it above the battery)

Edwin
So you spliced and then what? Sorry, I'm a bit of a wiring noob. And when you say grounded, do you mean you actually put it into the negative connection of the battery or just on metal in the engine bay?

Matt
Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

m32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you spliced and then what? Sorry, I'm a bit of a wiring noob. And when you say grounded, do you mean you actually put it into the negative connection of the battery or just on metal in the engine bay?

Matt
Once you tap the power wire off the parking light, it will light up the LEDs. The ground is not connected to the battery but to the metal of the engine bay

Edwin
Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Matt
essentially he connected all of the positive wires from the LED's to the positive wire for the parking lights on the driver side headlight, and connected the ground for all of the LED's to the ground bolt by the battery.

Also, this should go into the cheap/free mods section!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Cool
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Those look good, nice work

I put green LED's in my grill.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
2004TacomaNavy is on a distinguished road

Navy: Aircraft Maintenance Chief
Name: Brian
2004TacomaNavy's Tacoma Gallery
Can you tell me what the brand and description of the LED's you bought were?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Very cool. Did you just use one of those blue wire splices to tap into the parking light wire?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #11

m32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004TacomaNavy View Post
Can you tell me what the brand and description of the LED's you bought were?

Thanks,
Brian
Brian,

Here they are

http://www.oznium.com/motorcycle-led-bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Very cool. Did you just use one of those blue wire splices to tap into the parking light wire?
Yes sir, I actually used a pink wire tap (smaller diameter)

Edwin
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Also, do you have any pics of the parking light wire? I want to do this but idk what the wire looks like
Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP did u do the retrofit on ur headlights ur self?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man
Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Juan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 91B - Mechanic
Name: Johnny
Juan Solo's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for Texas! That's actually a pretty clean look OP, also digging the projector retrofit.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
MJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to all

Army:
MJM777's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good.....sub'd!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
looks cool, also interested in more info-same questions already asked. mainly a picture of the parking light wire you spliced into and how you spliced it
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #19

m32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
Hey OP did u do the retrofit on ur headlights ur self?
Yep... by far the most stressful yet rewarding mod I've done (ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Solo View Post
Bump for Texas! That's actually a pretty clean look OP, also digging the projector retrofit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
Looks awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
looks good man
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM777 View Post
Looks good.....sub'd!
Thanks fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
Also, do you have any pics of the parking light wire? I want to do this but idk what the wire looks like
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
looks cool, also interested in more info-same questions already asked. mainly a picture of the parking light wire you spliced into and how you spliced it
I'll take some over the next few days and post up.

Edwin
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Pretty good at drinkin beer!
TaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rob
TaKoToy's Tacoma Gallery

Products Discussed in this Thread