1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuse melted, both HID blown. Need HELP find bulb replacement!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by phoenix5ire, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sep 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    phoenix5ire

phoenix5ire [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phoenix~
    MN
    Vehicle:
    05 Sports TRD
    ~ Bilstein 5100's ~ 18x9 Eagle Alloy ~ Dueler A/T ~ K&N AirCharger High-Flow Intake ~ BiXenons ~ Westin Ultimate Bull Bar ~ Westin Step Bars
    First I must apologize if there's another thread that has answered my predicament, I've done several searches and after an hour of reading/searching, I was not able to find a solution to my problem.

I'm needing some help with my bi-xeon HID bulb and/or kit. I bought this H4 kit from here about 2yrs ago. Both ballast has gone out on me, I have replaced both ballast since (about a year after installation). Last week the fuse on the power wire from the harness to the positive terminal on the battery melted thus causing both HID bulbs to blow. I am not exactly sure what cause the meltdown, the lights started flickering and boom, no lights. Good thing I was still in the driveway. So no lights for over a week now.

[​IMG]
    **Above is the fuse location I'm referring to; courtesy of OP user CableTec.

**Below is my fuse, this is what the melted fuse holder looks like once found (has been replaced)** **
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Below is my HID bulb/adapter from various angles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My question:
    This is my first HID kit so being the curious George, after unscrewing the 3 tiny star screws from the back of the bulb adapter to see if it was possible to replace just the bulb, it doesn't look possible since it's a single piece. Looks to me, you have to buy a whole new bulb w/ adapter. If this is the case, where/how can I find out/order the correct one for my truck? I would hope I don't have to buy a whole new kit just to replace the bulb? My truck is a 2005 Tacoma Crew cab.

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    After seeing the fuse and that you have had to replace the ballasts multiple times I would buy a whole new kit from a reputable person.

I have had HID's for 3 years and only replaced 1 ballast and that was due to standing water and mud.

3. Sep 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    phoenix5ire

phoenix5ire [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phoenix~
    MN
    Vehicle:
    05 Sports TRD
    ~ Bilstein 5100's ~ 18x9 Eagle Alloy ~ Dueler A/T ~ K&N AirCharger High-Flow Intake ~ BiXenons ~ Westin Ultimate Bull Bar ~ Westin Step Bars
    Hi nfs257,
    I bought it from Slimcubby. While the HID lighting has been great, it's been frustrated with issues. I don't mean to be negative but the idea behind spending $140 every year or two for a whole HID system is a little ridiculous imo and/or having to constantly replace ballasts. Granted halogens cost $20 for two new bulbs and it's plug/play.

4. Sep 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    That was my point I havent had to buy any new items except for my own negligence. The ballast was bouncing around and sitting in mud and water which caused it to go bad.

5. Sep 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    It probably melted due to insufficient wire gauge or too big a fuse for that size wire and moisture is a problem too. On my old truck i cut off that cheapy fuse holder and soldering in a covered fuse holder

6. Sep 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    IndigoTac07

IndigoTac07 Tortoise*

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma
    When you order the bulb from a place like TRS, it comes with the adapters. You wouldnt be able to use the bulb without them, and as you say its not easy to take apart. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top