1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma 5' Truck Bed Cover

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ultimateshep, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Sep 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    ultimateshep

ultimateshep [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab
    Interior LED lights Piaa Moose Lights Westin Bull Bar Custom-made Heavy Duty Aluminum Bed cover
    Hello,

Greetings from the middle of nowhere in Alaska. 70 degrees in the summer for about 3 months - 30 below for about 6 months of the year.

I have been looking to add an Aluminum Tonneau Cover to my short bed (5') Double Cab Tacoma. Since the bed is so short, I figured I could add about 6-8 inches by using an extension (hand rail) on the tailgate side.

The reason I want Aluminum is because I have my Yamaha 700r SE 4 wheeler that I load in the truck. I want the cover to be rated for 1500+ pounds. Adding the rail extensions will protect the glass in the back of the cab and give the needed extra length for larger utility 4 wheelers.

I want Aluminum for the strength that a vinyl cover wont give me and everything that I looked at was well $1500 or more. Shipping would have been made it impossible, therefore I designed my own.

I'm not done but it is completed for the Winter and snow that has already come. It is about 95% water proof. Only a few drips get in.

These are pictures of what I have so far. I'm already starting to look for a buyer so I can make a better version 2 in the spring. It looks fantastic. Just trying to decide if I want to paint it black...

And yes, the cover will hold two men (400 lbs) jumping up and down together in all spots on the truck = Success!

Specs:
    1/4" Aluminum Tread Plating
    2" x 2" x 1/4" Angle supports
    Weatherproofing seals
    Rail Extensions on tailgate end (not yet added)
    Upright rails/rail extensions on cab half (not yet added)
    Both halves swing open
    Weighs about 130 pounds (gives good weight for the winter ice/snow)
    Cost about $700

IMG_6761.jpg
    IMG_6758.jpg
    IMG_6742.jpg
    IMG_6759_A.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. Sep 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Great job. Cant wait to see a pic with the four wheeler on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top