1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

recommendation for 4runner headlights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by abunch, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Oct 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    abunch

abunch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD
    icons, ucas, Deaver pack, DD, ARB, Warn 9k, 255-85 km2, rigid lights, yada, yada
    I need a recommendation for some new headlights on my moms truck.

Long story short, she hit a deer and banged up the front end 5 years ago. She has been complaining ever sine then that she cannot see anything. I have adjusted the beams every time I go home and she says she still cannot see.

Solution: I told her I would put new lights in her 1999 4runner limited for christmas. She wants the brightest thing out there thats legal.

I don't mess with headlights that much. What do you guys think? HIDs?projectors? She does not want anything fancy, just wants to be able to see.

2. Oct 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    abunch

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD
    icons, ucas, Deaver pack, DD, ARB, Warn 9k, 255-85 km2, rigid lights, yada, yada
    been doing some research tonight...

It seems HIDs in a halogen housing are a bad idea, mainly b/c they blind other drivers.

Don't really want to dump the $ into making her a set of projectors. A 60 year old retired school teacher rocking a set of morimoto projectors would be kind of funny.

Maybe LED, but that also seems a bit of a new tech that needs work still.

Any ideas?

3. Oct 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    What do the stock ones look like? Are they old and yellowed out? Maybe new housings and bulbs are all she needs?

Done cleanly and safely, no non-car-person is going to notice an HID conversion. Don't do it halfway though, make it safe and reliable for her.

What about new stock headlights and a set of off road lights wired to come on with the high beams? If her main problem is being able to see while out in the country where most deer vs car accidents occur, that might be the ticket. I've never driven a 99 4runner, but I know the 01 Tacoma I had for awhile seemed to have great low beams, just weak highs when in truly dark areas.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. Oct 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    abunch

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Brooklyn
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD
    Her lenses are clear as day. I told her to send me a picture thinking cloudy lenses could be the issue, but they look better than mine!

Any recs on a HID kit that is quality?

IMG_9347.jpg

5. Oct 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

6. Oct 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    450rider

450rider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 SR5 Maroon
    Leveling Kit, K&N Filter, Rockford Fosgate speakers, mono block amp, 4 channel amp, capacitor, sub and both amp kits and a Pioneer DVD player By-passed
    You should really look into retro fitting her lights. Its a night and day difference between stock. If you dont want to do it then look into paying someone to do it. Just my two cents

7. Oct 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    JWaldz

JWaldz It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    I have HID's in my '99.. A retrofit is a good way to go, otherwise I say stick to some higher end halogens. Retrofit can cost some big $$$$.

FWIW my HID's came from Retro-Solutions. They're really good but I don't suggest them for her. B/c since they're a modification over stock, if you're not around to fix it if something messes up she can't just go buy a new bulb from a store or have someone else repair it. There's also a wait time for the warranty process (granted it's lifetime) which means she'd have to have the stock one's put back in while she waits. Just doesn't seem worth the trouble for her.

Products Discussed in

To Top