Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

recommendation for 4runner headlights?

Old 10-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
abunch is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
abunch's Tacoma Gallery
recommendation for 4runner headlights?

I need a recommendation for some new headlights on my moms truck.

Long story short, she hit a deer and banged up the front end 5 years ago. She has been complaining ever sine then that she cannot see anything. I have adjusted the beams every time I go home and she says she still cannot see.

Solution: I told her I would put new lights in her 1999 4runner limited for christmas. She wants the brightest thing out there thats legal.

I don't mess with headlights that much. What do you guys think? HIDs?projectors? She does not want anything fancy, just wants to be able to see.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

abunch's Tacoma Gallery
been doing some research tonight...

It seems HIDs in a halogen housing are a bad idea, mainly b/c they blind other drivers.

Don't really want to dump the $ into making her a set of projectors. A 60 year old retired school teacher rocking a set of morimoto projectors would be kind of funny.

Maybe LED, but that also seems a bit of a new tech that needs work still.

Any ideas?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What do the stock ones look like? Are they old and yellowed out? Maybe new housings and bulbs are all she needs?

Done cleanly and safely, no non-car-person is going to notice an HID conversion. Don't do it halfway though, make it safe and reliable for her.

What about new stock headlights and a set of off road lights wired to come on with the high beams? If her main problem is being able to see while out in the country where most deer vs car accidents occur, that might be the ticket. I've never driven a 99 4runner, but I know the 01 Tacoma I had for awhile seemed to have great low beams, just weak highs when in truly dark areas.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

abunch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
What do the stock ones look like? Are they old and yellowed out? Maybe new housings and bulbs are all she needs?

Done cleanly and safely, no non-car-person is going to notice an HID conversion. Don't do it halfway though, make it safe and reliable for her.

What about new stock headlights and a set of off road lights wired to come on with the high beams? If her main problem is being able to see while out in the country where most deer vs car accidents occur, that might be the ticket. I've never driven a 99 4runner, but I know the 01 Tacoma I had for awhile seemed to have great low beams, just weak highs when in truly dark areas.
Her lenses are clear as day. I told her to send me a picture thinking cloudy lenses could be the issue, but they look better than mine!

Any recs on a HID kit that is quality?
Attached Thumbnails
recommendation for 4runner headlights?-img_9347.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=abunch;7532084]Her lenses are clear as day. I told her to send me a picture thinking cloudy lenses could be the issue, but they look better than mine!

Any recs on a HID kit that is quality?[/QUOTE]

That's one thing I haven't done yet, but someone will chime in.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
450rider is on a distinguished road
450rider's Tacoma Gallery
You should really look into retro fitting her lights. Its a night and day difference between stock. If you dont want to do it then look into paying someone to do it. Just my two cents
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
I have HID's in my '99.. A retrofit is a good way to go, otherwise I say stick to some higher end halogens. Retrofit can cost some big $$$$.

FWIW my HID's came from Retro-Solutions. They're really good but I don't suggest them for her. B/c since they're a modification over stock, if you're not around to fix it if something messes up she can't just go buy a new bulb from a store or have someone else repair it. There's also a wait time for the warranty process (granted it's lifetime) which means she'd have to have the stock one's put back in while she waits. Just doesn't seem worth the trouble for her.