Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help! Need a "hot wire"

Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Help! Need a "hot wire"

i have everything hooked up for my bed lights except for the switch. i dont want to have it so i have to have my marker lights on for the bed lights to work. can anyone point me in the direction for something that is hot without the truck being on or without the marker lights being on so i can finishing hooking up my otrattw switch?

i dont want to run another lead from the battery just for this switch. its powered via relay from my aux. fuse box.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the fuses under the dash work in the ignition...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
What I did for some extra lighting was run a wire to the battery with an inline fuse to a switch. So if the truck is off I can still turn them on
Old 10-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
Most of the fuses under the dash work in the ignition...
are any of them hot without the ignition on? my old chevy truck had cab lights that were switch activated. did not need the lights to be on or the truck to be on, key in, or anything. trying to duplicate that setup.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
What I did for some extra lighting was run a wire to the battery with an inline fuse to a switch. So if the truck is off I can still turn them on
if i had not run a relay and if i ran a simple 2 prong switch, that would work
Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Resident Otaku
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
im pretty sure the fuse box has some hot fuses, or if you poke around im sure theirs a wire or two you could tap, BUT IMO its cleaner and safer to keep all your wiring separate from the factory, this also makes it easier to fix if something in the factory wiring fails.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly what do you have installed already?

Where is the relay located?

Where is your switch located?

Depending on where everything is located, it may be easier to switch the ground on the relay, which won't require another hot wire.

The fuse in the interior block which powers the cigarette lighter and aux power outlet is hot all the time, even though those outlets are not. I have an ATM type add-a-circuit in that slot for my camper shell lights.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
!@$%#
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
There are spade terminals in the main fuse box that are always live. I used one of those for my bed lights. I used LEDs so no relay required. Fishing wires through the firewall is no fun, but may be necessary.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
oldguy128 is on a distinguished road

Name: GARY
oldguy128's Tacoma Gallery
How many amps does your lights draw, if its over 2 amps which i assume it is, use a #10 wire to a fuse with more then rating of the lights, example if the lights draw 20 amps, use a 30 amps fuse, then have it go to to the wiper of a heavy duty relay, use this one its cheap and it should do it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=203873_0_0_

then wire one side of the coil to truck ground, the other side to any small switch which is wired to any point that is always hot in the cab fuse block run your lights one side to ground and the other to the open contact on the relay total cost $10.00 good luck do you need me to draw you a diagram? just ask

Gary
Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
thanks everyone, got it.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
dan33900 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
dan33900's Tacoma Gallery
You can always go to the battery wire in your trailer hitch plug.