Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
AkRyan is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
AkRyan's Tacoma Gallery
Help with hid/housing unit?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

PRO-YD-TT05-CCFL-SM

Does anyone know if this model housing unit would work with hids? If so what bulb type would it work with? h1's?

If not, what type of housing unit would you suggest? I don't want to retrofit and would prefer a smoked housing unit.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
I used this for my truck and replaced the low beams with HID's since it is a projector and left the high beams stock so they were yellow for off-road use...
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkRyan View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

PRO-YD-TT05-CCFL-SM

Does anyone know if this model housing unit would work with hids? If so what bulb type would it work with? h1's?

If not, what type of housing unit would you suggest? I don't want to retrofit and would prefer a smoked housing unit.
I've seen plenty of ppl run those with hid..... They have an absolutely terrible beam pattern, but that's why they cost so little.

If u try em with halogens, many here say the output is LESS than stock.

And if u still buy them, buy a tube of GE silicone II and seal all around them where the lens meets the grey part. They are famous for fogging and leaking.

As for the bulb size, I'd contact the seller and ask what size halogens they take.... They buy a rebased hid bulb set for that type.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
I've seen plenty of ppl run those with hid..... They have an absolutely terrible beam pattern, but that's why they cost so little.

If u try em with halogens, many here say the output is LESS than stock.

And if u still buy them, buy a tube of GE silicone II and seal all around them where the lens meets the grey part. They are famous for fogging and leaking.

As for the bulb size, I'd contact the seller and ask what size halogens they take.... They buy a rebased hid bulb set for that type.
I certainly used a tube or 2 of silicone... But with the 35w 6k HIDs they put out good light and I couldnt afford the Retrofits....
Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
I certainly used a tube or 2 of silicone... But with the 35w 6k HIDs they put out good light and I couldnt afford the Retrofits....
Good, I s much easier to seal em up before u throw em on.... Taking them out again to seal them is like a kick in the teeth I assume.

I guess I am comparing them (as well as many others) to the expected pattern and cutoff of a better projector..... I guess the morimotos, and the fxr.

I've seen pics of these and there pattern against walls and garage doors..... Comparing them to my old fxr's, they have poor optics.

Then again, when lots of people said they have worse optics when used with halogens compared to stock, I took their word for it. They usually said they installed the lights as is, then realized they couldn't see much, and were kinda forced to run hid in them.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good, I s much easier to seal em up before u throw em on.... Taking them out again to seal them is like a kick in the teeth I assume.

I guess I am comparing them (as well as many others) to the expected pattern and cutoff of a better projector..... I guess the morimotos, and the fxr.

I've seen pics of these and there pattern against walls and garage doors..... Comparing them to my old fxr's, they have poor optics.

Then again, when lots of people said they have worse optics when used with halogens compared to stock, I took their word for it. They usually said they installed the lights as is, then realized they couldn't see much, and were kinda forced to run hid in them.
I bought them with HID's already in hand for them... The cut off does have some eyelashes. I have had 2 different sets/ brands. The first had crisp cut off with eyelids and the current set has a kick up at 1 edge...
Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
AkRyan's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of hids from ddm tuning in hand already. Do you imagine the light outp
ut being less when stock if I were able to throw those in other? Or have decent light output at least?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #8

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I bought them with HID's already in hand for them... The cut off does have some eyelashes. I have had 2 different sets/ brands. The first had crisp cut off with eyelids and the current set has a kick up at 1 edge...
Got a pic?

Is it scatter or a step on the right hand side for illuminating road signs?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a set of hids from ddm tuning in hand already. Do you imagine the light outp
ut being less when stock if I were able to throw those in other? Or have decent light output at least?
Should be brighter than halogens, and hopefully has decent enough control of scatter than a reflector based housing. Just don't get blue lights.

The high kelvin scales offer less light and appeal to show cars..... Blue is irritating to the human eye anyhow.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Same question I've asked another member.

OP, are you going for looks or functionality?

Why not just go for a retrofit. Just wondering, not trying to crash on your thread.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
AkRyan's Tacoma Gallery
Poor college kid. Rather not spend extra money on retrofits. And I have plenty of lights for off road use. I'd say a mix of functionality and looks (which is why I want smoked) and mostly driving around in the city so I'm not looking to blind everyone.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
If you need a hand with those ryan lemme know, I'm right down the street from you.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
AkRyan's Tacoma Gallery
Haha alright Ben. I'll let you know when/if I decide on that.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Poor college kid. Rather not spend extra money on retrofits. And I have plenty of lights for off road use. I'd say a mix of functionality and looks (which is why I want smoked) and mostly driving around in the city so I'm not looking to blind everyone.
Roger that. Got yah
Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #15

nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got a pic?

Is it scatter or a step on the right hand side for illuminating road signs?
Definitely a step up and not a scatter... but they are on the right side of both units...

THE STOCK HIDS DONT FIT THIS HOUSING. DIFFERENT BASE.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #16

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Definitely a step up and not a scatter... but they are on the right side of both units...

THE STOCK HIDS DONT FIT THIS HOUSING. DIFFERENT BASE.
Well that's good about the step.

Products Discussed in this Thread