1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

L Turn signal not working, bulb fine

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by primer, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Nov 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    primer

primer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    My L front turn signal quit working a week ago. I got a bulb on Friday and was surprised that wasn't the problem.

The socket looks a little blackened, but my lens isn't burned from the heat of the DTRL like some. I did the BHLM a few months back. Everything has been fine since.

Anyone have any suggestions. Can you buy one of those sockets?

Thanks in advance.

TL

2. Nov 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    sure the new bulb is good?

3. Nov 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    I didn't check it in the other socket. To be complete, I should. But I immediately noticed the old bulb didn't look burned out. Both elements are intact.

I will try the bulb in the other side.

But I'm betting that is not the problem.

TL

4. Nov 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    Swapped the bulbs. Right still works, L still out...

I wish it had been that simple.

Thanks though...

Any other thoughts? Anyone had to replace a socket? That seems easier than chasing things down...

5. Nov 3, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Are both tails on a single fuse? Can't remember... I'd check that maybe

6. Nov 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    I will check.

On the way to work this am the R stopped working. Front only. Haven't had time to check but I'm betting the bulb is fine. I did not think the r or l were on different fuses...

TL

7. Nov 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    Getting a little more desperate.

I can't find a blown fuse. Neither front amber bulb works as DTRL or turn signal or hazard light.

Both rear ambler bulbs work.

I did the fogs always on mod years ago, no problems. Did the BHLM a few months ago without issues. Did the DTRL switch mod years ago also. I've checked my connections, and they all look fine.

I think the fact that the L quit a week before the R is a big clue. But I'm at a loss on where to look for the problem.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

TL

8. Nov 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    Solved..

I think...?

I got my multi tester out and decided first I needed to see if there was power to the socket. There are four connections in the socket so at first I wasn't sure.

I decided the best way to sort it out what to look at a socket I knew worked. So I took my tail light off and pulled the turn signal socket - uses the same bulb. It only has two contacts in it, but I could figure out how it worked and see how my multitester read when it was on. So then I went back to the L front turn signal socket. The multi tester said it worked. Which was a bit of a relief - maybe it was a bulb issue...

Of course I put the bulb in and it worked immediately... Perfectly. I have no idea why. Earlier I pulled fuse after fuse and wiggled every connection - nothing. Now the L side works.

But R is still dead.

So I pulled the bulb and tried the multi tester. It said it was getting power. Put the bulb in and it was fine...

I don't understand. I've had bulbs in and out of both sockets 5-6 times over the last 48hr...

I'm worried there is a intermittent issue, but so far I'm good again...

Products Discussed in

To Top