Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Adjusting headlights after BHLM

Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
jo35 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Adjusting headlights after BHLM

Did the BHLM this weekend. Looks amazing. However, when i put the headlights back on the truck they were aimed way high. Did some searching on the forums and found the vertical adjustment screw near the bottom of the light and grabbed a screwdriver and turned it counter-clockwise. Either it takes forever or they aren't really adjusting much. Strange because my high beams are way lower than before but my low beams are maybe only slightly lower. Does it really take that long to adjust the headlights? I'm talking like 3 minutes of constant turning of the screwdriver and barely a noticeable difference. any ideas?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
It should be seconds to notice the difference...
Did you park your truck about 25 ft in front of a ground on level ground infront?
If you did the Bhlm, I don't think you touched the reflector or the back piece of the housing so I don't see how or why they would sit different
Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
thump them lightly with an open palm on the face..........

can u hear anything rattling around?
or when they are on at night, can u see the light pattern bounce around alot as u drive?

sometimes that little ball/socket joint can be weak and pop off inside.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Wow... figured it out. I was actually adjusting my lights the whole time. However, I had my brights on the entire time. My lows and high beams are switched. So when I have my "brights" turned on it is actually my lows but when I have my lows on it is actually my highs. My fogs turn off when i turn on my "brights" (lows in this case) which is normal i think.

Any idea on how to fix this? Did i plug something in the wrong way? I assume that there's no wrong way to plug in the lights. Maybe I got the plug flipped or something?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone help me with this? My highs are on when my lows are supposed to be on and my lows are on when my brights are switched on. I looked st the plug and there's only one way to plug them in.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
You can't plug them in wrong.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure you didn't just adjust them to where they are switched? What happens inside the truck on the dash when you flip on the highs? Push the lights forward and the blue high beam indicator lights up?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Are you sure you didn't just adjust them to where they are switched? What happens inside the truck on the dash when you flip on the highs? Push the lights forward and the blue high beam indicator lights up?
Yes it lights up but my lows will be on.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo35 View Post
Yes it lights up but my lows will be on.
Just curious, what are you looking at that you see the lows are on? Are you looking at the bulb?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just curious, what are you looking at that you see the lows are on? Are you looking at the bulb?
No im looking at the beam pattern. Im just lost as to how this is even possible unless there's a problem with my bulbs
Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible that you just adjusted them so far out of whack that you think your highs are on? take the bulb out of the housing and plug it in, turn on the low beams and see where the light is coming from. There are 2 filaments, which is lit up?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery

The filament in the back is your high beam, the filament in the dish is your low beam. which one lights up.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The filament in the back is your high beam, the filament in the dish is your low beam. which one lights up.
Wow good info. I was wrong. My lows are on when they sre supposed to be on. Same goes with highs. I guesd they're just pointed high. I went up to a wall and started adjusting again. They are still high and I went as far as to where it stopped going down. Guess I maxed it out. Not sure what to do now. Sucks because im about to lift my teuck 5 inches. People oncoming will hate my guts lol
Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #14
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo35 View Post
Wow good info. I was wrong. My lows are on when they sre supposed to be on. Same goes with highs. I guesd they're just pointed high. I went up to a wall and started adjusting again. They are still high and I went as far as to where it stopped going down. Guess I maxed it out. Not sure what to do now. Sucks because im about to lift my teuck 5 inches. People oncoming will hate my guts lol
I would say then to make sure you have your housings seated on the truck correctly first. Then I would try playing with the adjustments going all the way both directions, and if I'm not mistaken, there are 2 adjustment knobs for each headlight. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:15 AM   #15
jo35's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE: I fixed my headlights. On my old car the bulbs were designed to fit in the housing in one way (there were two small slots and one large slots for the three tabs, allowing it in only one way.) Well, on our trucks apparently that isn't the case. Both of my bulbs were positioned in a way that both filaments were vertical instead of horizontal. I rotated them so the filament was horizontal and now they are perfect. I'm lifting the truck soon so I was going to need to adjust them vertically downward anyways so I don't mind them being pointed down. Just a solution for anyone that might have this problem.