Notices

Cup holder LEDs

Old 01-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Brian13DCSB
Bpassmore8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Bpassmore8's Tacoma Gallery
Cup holder LEDs

I saw some threads about cup holder lighting. I like the idea of changing things but only if it is basically stock looking so this won't be anything fancy but will work for people like me. This is how I did it. I tapped into the green and green/white wires behind the AC panel and routed the wire down and to the rear cup holder. I tapped off that one for the front cup holder. I like this way because if I want more lighting anywhere it is easy to tap. I wanted mine different than the other threads, only wanting enough light to see. Not accent colors and not distracting. I work at a Lexus dealer and that is how they are which I love but it is coming from the headliner and only giving enough light to see. There is enough light that my daughter can see the rear cup holder. I used a 1/8 drill bit for the holes which gave enough light without dispersing it and tap splices

Bought these lights http://www.oznium.com/prewired-5050-led

Mistakes...this is the first wiring project I have done
1.Used the wrong gauge wire. Ended up using 18 because it was the smallest I could get. I got 14 first which meant after running some wire the tap splices wouldn't work since the factory wire it tiny

2.Drilled the first front hole where I wanted it, put everything together and was happy. Put the cup holder inserts in and realized I hadn't thought about those. They blocked the hole so everything had to come out and a new hole drilled

Tapped behind a/c to green and green/white wires. You could also use the wires for the bulb that lights the P R N D indicator next to the shifter but I messed that up so had to use the a/c controls

Ugly but I had to hot glue around the back of the LED to hold it in place

Removed the back of the center console to route the LED

Front cup holder. The green is just the demo bottle. You can't tell but it also lights up the storage compartment behind the cup holder and the USB port above it which is awesome. With the 1/8 hole the light isn't distracting at all

Rear cup holder

Front hole location

Rear hole location
Old 01-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
Can you update your pics? I can only see 2. Would like to see your setup as I recently purchased material for this type of mod.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
Oregon TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice man! Looks great.

I love my interior leds I did. Makes night time a shitload better.

I have a writeup also if you want to look at it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post4445401
Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
jmandeville is on a distinguished road
Army: AIt PLT SGT
Name: Justin
jmandeville's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know how many LED's thos two wires will support? How many do you have hooked to yours? Do you know what colors the wires are for the shift indicator lights? Sorry for all the questions, but I am looking to wire up my console similar to yours, along with putting some LED's under the dash to shine on the floor boards.