Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Installing Resistors for LED Turn Signals

Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
RDBarker is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
RDBarker's Tacoma Gallery
Installing Resistors for LED Turn Signals

I have a 2010 Tacoma and want to install LED Switchbacks for my front turn signals and DTRLs. Where is the best place to install the resistors and what is the best method to fasten them? I'm a newbie to this type of stuff and need some good ideas. Thanks
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
lilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to behold

lilgerber's Tacoma Gallery
I was also wondering the same thing. Anyone?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
stephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant future

stephbm6's Tacoma Gallery
I did my back turn signals and the resistors get really hot real fast that's why I haven't done my front turn signals. I have DTRL's and I've heard that the resistor wires melt because of the heat from being on all the time.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I did my rear turn signals LED and I double sided sticky taped the resistors on the metal body of the truck where the taillights are. Not sure how good that would hold up on plastic though since they can get super hot.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBarker View Post
I have a 2010 Tacoma and want to install LED Switchbacks for my front turn signals and DTRLs. Where is the best place to install the resistors and what is the best method to fasten them? I'm a newbie to this type of stuff and need some good ideas. Thanks

Get with him..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post3709338
Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
stephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
I did my rear turn signals LED and I double sided sticky taped the resistors on the metal body of the truck where the taillights are. Not sure how good that would hold up on plastic though since they can get super hot.
I actually drilled and screwed the resistors into mine to help disperse the heat.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
LED resistors

If you are having issues with heat with the LED lights I would guess the resistors are not big enough to handle the load. 50 watt sand filled resistors are not too much for the job.
Super Bright LEDS is a good place to start. They have just about everything you need to convert to LEDS including resistors to handle the excess current.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Meh mine just hang off the wires and are ziptide lol
Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
resistors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBarker View Post
Do you have a pic of the resistors? Are they mountable?
Any METAL surface will conduct the heat.
There is also a conduction paste available-"HEAT SINK COMPOUND"-It is cheap and should help.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I don't use any resistors. I bought the LED flasher module that eliminates the need for resistors. I would look at SuperbrightLED.com for their flashers. This is a list of the ones they have: Flasher modules.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I don't use any resistors. I bought the LED flasher module that eliminates the need for resistors. I would look at SuperbrightLED.com for their flashers. This is a list of the ones they have: Flasher modules.
Could you show where you plug these in at?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
RacecarGuy is on a distinguished road
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
That won't work for DTRL trucks right? We would need a 12 pin flasher for DTRL's to still work.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephbm6 View Post
Could you show where you plug these in at?
You just put it in place of your turn signal flasher. It replaces the factory one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacecarGuy View Post
That won't work for DTRL trucks right? We would need a 12 pin flasher for DTRL's to still work.
I believe someone makes the flasher for the 12 pin DTRL Toyota. I will see if I can find the seller. It was a website that I found it on. Maybe Google "Toyota led flasher" and search around.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is on a distinguished road

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
Do the flasher mod. Its simple.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #16
lilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to behold

lilgerber's Tacoma Gallery
Details on flasher mod?
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Taco View Post
If you are having issues with heat with the LED lights I would guess the resistors are not big enough to handle the load. 50 watt sand filled resistors are not too much for the job.
Super Bright LEDS is a good place to start. They have just about everything you need to convert to LEDS including resistors to handle the excess current.
+1 Resistors are rated in Ohms of resistance - but there's a secondary rating which is their current capacity.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
BallzDeep is how I go
916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future916TacoTruck has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
916TacoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Wattage rating is key when you have heat issues with a resistor. They come in 1/4 1/2 1 watt ratings.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #19
Can't re-MEMBER

I can't drag the link. There's a whole long post on it. You remove the flasher and grind about half of the resistor loop down. It works great. Look for my post."LOOKING FOR LED 1437 BULBS" TRY: [url]http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd.resistors...html
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Resistors for LED Turn Signals-20140214_094744.jpg   Installing Resistors for LED Turn Signals-20140214_092207.jpg  
Old 02-20-2014, 02:28 AM   #20
Can't re-MEMBER

An update. The flasher mod is NOT ideal for models 2009 and up with Daytime running lights. It will only work when the DTRLs are not lit. (in my case) I've done the DTRL delete now. No more DTRLs and no more issues.