Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Fuse failure Hella 500 Driving lights

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
AgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant future

Name: Joey
AgMechTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Fuse failure Hella 500 Driving lights

I tried to use my lights yesterday, and they wouldn't come on. When I looked at the fuses I noticed one of them had gotten really hot and melted the plastic casing around it, and melted the solder in the connector. I'm just glad it didn't start a fire or anything. Anybody have an idea of what could cause this? I've had the lights for over a year and never had any problems with them before.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
JU Boi is on a distinguished road
JU Boi's Tacoma Gallery
This exact same thing happened to me. The fuse holders that hella sends are absolute crap. Go to an auto parts store and get a new one. I happened to have 2 sets of lights so i bought two. Then splice that new one in there. I think i even put a different size fuse in it (one that could handle more load).

As a side note. I put 100w lights in my hella 500ff and the light is incredible.

Interested to see how this turns out.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
AgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant futureAgMechTacoma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU Boi View Post
This exact same thing happened to me. The fuse holders that hella sends are absolute crap. Go to an auto parts store and get a new one. I happened to have 2 sets of lights so i bought two. Then splice that new one in there. I think i even put a different size fuse in it (one that could handle more load).

As a side note. I put 100w lights in my hella 500ff and the light is incredible.

Interested to see how this turns out.
I think putting in a larger fuse would make the problem more dangerous. The filament that was in the 15 A fuse never failed, so it got really hot.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Poor connection that got hot not an over load. The little plastic fuse holders are worthless for that much load. get a heavy duty ATC fuse holder. A pair of 100 watt lamps draw about 17 amps.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

I just ripped all the wiring out after it happened. I'm gonna start over with better stuff than what came with the light kit. I got a Bosch relay, heavy duty inline fuses, oem fog light switch, solder connections with shrink tubing. Gonna do it right so I never have problems again. I hate having to go back and fix stuff.