Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Wiring 2 relays to 1 switch?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
spartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Trevor
spartanhockey6's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring 2 relays to 1 switch?

Hey guys, I have a quick question about my current wiring setup for my 4 55w hella 500's.

Right now i have 2 lights> 1 relay>1 switch and then the other 2 lights> 1 relay> 1 switch.

I currently have the two switches unsecured in the coin/ashtray under the factory switches/blanks. (really annoying)

What I would like is to use one of the factory blank spots for a switch to power on/off all 4 lights instead of finding a place to mount two seperate switches.

I've tried doing some research but am not 100% confident in my electrical knowledge lol. Would it be as simple as taking the power wire from relay (A) to the switch (A) and splicing it into the power wire from relay (B) to switch (B)? and then just connecting relay (B) to the new switch?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanhockey6 View Post
Hey guys, I have a quick question about my current wiring setup for my 4 55w hella 500's.

Right now i have 2 lights> 1 relay>1 switch and then the other 2 lights> 1 relay> 1 switch.

I currently have the two switches unsecured in the coin/ashtray under the factory switches/blanks. (really annoying)

What I would like is to use one of the factory blank spots for a switch to power on/off all 4 lights instead of finding a place to mount two seperate switches.

I've tried doing some research but am not 100% confident in my electrical knowledge lol. Would it be as simple as taking the power wire from relay (A) to the switch (A) and splicing it into the power wire from relay (B) to switch (B)? and then just connecting relay (B) to the new switch?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Absolutely, that's one of the great things about using relays. You can have 1 switch trip multiple relays
Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
you need to add up your draw of the relays coil and make sure that your new switch will carry the load. If they're small relays this should be a non issue, but when you start adding multiple items, a 5 second check could save you a ton of time and money later.

If you have only two relays, you "might" be in the neighborhood of an amp. and your switch "should" carry 5
Old 01-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
If the relay is rated, why not run all 4 lights off the one relay?

Tie all the positives on the lights together and do the same with the negatives. Run a single pair of wires to the relay. 1 switch, 1 relay and 4 lights.

Just need to find out how many watts the relay will carry.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
spartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Trevor
spartanhockey6's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info guys!

The two relays i have came with the lights from Hella.

Both relays are 12V/15A and are probably the size of a 1" cube so they're pretty tiny.

Since i already have the relays mounted under the hood i'll probably just connect the two power wires from the relays to the one switch.

What kinda switch do you guys think i should get? 20A? I don't believe my relays are that big and pull enough power so a 20A switch should be good to go?

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Relays require less than one amp of current to activate. I would run whatever switch you have laying around. I don't think you'll find a automotive switch that is rated less than 3 amps.